Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickledkiwi2

Reaction score
Hi I have just put down a Chocolate Mohogany Porter and was given 1kg Morgans chocolate malt and 250grms light malt extract to brew it with, I also threw in 1 kg coopers brewing sugar (just out of habit). I am now not sure if I should have used the sugar concidering the amont of liquid malt used. Can any of the gurus out there tell me if this is going to be a worth wihile beer or that I have maybe screwed it up with too much sugar.
Cheers and happy chugging!!! :beerbang: :party:

I don't have the knowledge as most in this forum yet, but would love if you could let us know how it turns out.

I have umed and r'd aabout cascade kits but have not tried 1 yet. LET us KNOW BRO

I don't have the knowledge as most in this forum yet, but would love if you could let us know how it turns out.

I have umed and r'd aabout cascade kits but have not tried 1 yet. LET us KNOW BRO

No worries, I will be kegging it in about 10 days and sampling soon aft :super: er

Heya,

if you bottle it your abv is likely to be up to 7.45%, so if you like a big beer it will be ok.
i would have just stuck with the choc malt / lme.

Rob.

Heya,

if you bottle it your abv is likely to be up to 7.45%, so if you like a big beer it will be ok.
i would have just stuck with the choc malt / lme.

Rob.

I love a big beer but since i started kegging I become too damn lazy to clean the bottles. But thanks for the comment. I am also keen to know how the "Skunk fart Pale Ale" is going and where the heel you got the recipe.

I love a big beer but since i started kegging I become too damn lazy to clean the bottles. But thanks for the comment. I am also keen to know how the "Skunk fart Pale Ale" is going and where the heel you got the recipe.

it will only be a few points of a percent less then, i tried a mates Chocolate Mohogany Porter and found it lacking a little body but other than that was great.

here's the link for the ever popular almost cult status skunk fart recipe:
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...hl=skunk%20fart

goodluck Rob.

I brewed the Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter in November and it is a nice drop for a kit. Best one I've done so far. I used Amber Liquid Malt and Safale yeast, no brewing sugar.

It was very drinkable, but a bit lacking, even with these additions, so this weekend I am going to try it again with a few changes/additions to beef it up a bit more.

You'll find it is not very dark and needs more malt flavour.

Here's what I'm planning:
Cascade Chocolate Mahogany Porter - 1.7kg (1.25 Liters)
Amber Liquid Malt Extract - 1.7kg
Chocolate Malt - 125g
Fuggles Hop Pellets - not sure yet how much I will use yet
Spring Water - 20 Liters
Safale Yeast (S04) - 11g

Any suggestions on amount of Hopps? I don't want it too hoppy, but I find the kit lacks hopps flavour alltogether.

Let me know how your turn out pickledkiwi2.

BB

Try 2 teaspoons in 500mls of water. Bring to the boil & simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour the lot into fermenter with the kit & malt etc. Don't strain it as it will all settle out when fermentation is finished. I'm very partial to a dark beer!

Cheers rustie

Well its been 13 days now since the Choc Mahogony was mixed and the current sg is1016 (after being stalled at 1020 for about 4 days over the weekend.I got some advice from mika_lika to get the yeast active again, us a sterial spoon and stir the sh#t out of the wort. Good advice mate it seems to have worked a treat.)
I am also going bottle it instead of kegging it in the hope that it develops over a bit of time, after reading that others have tried it and think it could do with a bit more depth.
I will wait untill the weekend to bottle it, giving it 16 days in the vat. Does anyone think that this may be too long or as long as the airlock is active there is no real problem letting it go????????
Cheers:beerbang:

Just bottled my honey porter on the weekend - straight from secondary its a tasty tasty drop. Will be leaving it down till winter hits.

Recipe
1 can Coopers lager
1kg dried dark malt extract
500g weyermann carafa special 2 malt - steeped for 30 mins at ~68degC
500g Honey (I used blue gum)
25g POR @ 30 mins
20g Cascade @ flameout
US-56 yeast

OG 1.046 FG 1014 ABV 4.8%

Have been dying to add some grains and am over the moon with the initial taste. Also bottled my first full extract on the weekend. Hoping for a 40L pot for my bday to have a crack at BIAB. Damn this 'hobby' is addictive!

Cheers
DrSMurto

Hey Pickledkiwi2,

Mine went from 1049 to 1010 in 8 days. The yeast I used went sick on the wort and had the airlock gurgling 6 hours after pitching. It was also much cooler in November than it has been recently.

From what I have been told, the yeast that comes with the kit is a lager yeast good up to 30 degrees...can't be that good of a yeast. But if you end up with a decent beer like I did, just switch to another yeast next time.

I'm no expert but 16 days seems a long time...the only problem is an increased chance of infection over time.

My version was drinkable after 3 weeks in the bottle, and was gone by New Years Eve. I've only saved one to try at a later date.

Ok so the Chocolate Mahogany Porter was bottled on the 01/03/07. It had a SG of 1052 and a FG of 1015. Unfortunatly I was not smart enough to record the yeast type but i used the one in the kit as well as an additional onethat I think was nottingham ale?
I sampled the first 5days ago (16 days in bottle) and tasted alright, Tried 2 today (21days) and was happy with flavour though the first was a bit thin on the finish. I decided to let the second warm up a little as my fridge is close to 3deg. It was much better :D . Just leting the chill go of the beer seemed to let a lot more flavour come out, weather this is just my imagination or not im not sure but either way I am really happy with it and will most certainly be doing this one again using some of the earlier suggestions regarding the yeast types etc.
Cheers guys and happy chugging. :beer:

Since the porter I have done a brewcraft Irish stout
Extras;
Coopers dark malt extract 1kg
Black fern larger malt extract 1kg
Dextrose250grms
Nottingham ale yeast (plus the 2 packs that came with the can type unknown)
AND BOUGHT FOR BREW BUT FORGOTTEN TO ADD (DUMB ARSE) Dry cornsyrup 500grms.
OG 1065 FG 1020
Kegged and gassed to 35 psi after 13 days brewing.
I am currently drinking this after 13 days in keg/fridge and I must say it is outstanding. Next I will have to try to remember the damn corn syrup.

Guys and Girls,

Im planning on doing a porter as my next batch. However im not sure which kit to use as my base. There would appear to be a lot of good reports about the Cascade Choc Mahogany Porter + grain additions, but i was wondering what other quality porter kits are availible. Or kits with other additions people have tried?

Cheers

Leary

Steep 250gms of choc grain, and add the strained liquid to any of these recipes, and it will really give the finished product the lift and depth it needs,
I'm drinking the results now and it's one of the best kits I've done to date!

Steep 250gms of choc grain, and add the strained liquid to any of these recipes, and it will really give the finished product the lift and depth it needs,
I'm drinking the results now and it's one of the best kits I've done to date!

When steeping the grain, what do you use for a grain bag? Is such a beast comercially available or is there something easliy available that will do the job? :huh:

Cheers,

Yoz

When steeping the grain, what do you use for a grain bag? Is such a beast comercially available or is there something easliy available that will do the job? :huh:

Cheers,

Yoz

You can buy a hop sock from craftbrewer, make one from muslin etc or an old stocking, or just steep them in a saucepan and then strain into your wort...

I heard of a guy who took the "chocolate" concept to its literal conclusion - and added two chocolate bars! I held a straight face when I heard this, but cracked up later. Maybe I should have asked if he added some mahogany chips as well.

Back