Carboys And Cleaning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Archie

Reaction score
Gday Everyone,
Well I am quite new to all this fantastic home brewing website and home brewing hobby well more like an obsession at the moment. I have just recently decided to try racking to a secondary fermenter. I have a carboy and am wondering what methods others use to clean and sanitize this.

Cheers :chug:
Archie :super:

After emptying the fermenter, rinse with water, do not scrub in any way, add a few desertspoons of napisan, fill to brim, put lid back on, wait a day or two, drain, remove tap, pull tap apart and scrub with toothbrush, scrub tap thread with toothbrush, grommet, lid threads, remove oring from lid, clean lid threads with toothbrush, rinse thoroughly, drain and air dry.

Glass fermenters recieve a 24 hour soak with napisan, cold water only rinse with cold water, drain, and air dry.

Gear is best stored dry, as moisture encourages bacterial growth.

God invented Nappi-San for brewers, then realised it was also good for cleaning nappies :beerbang:

pint of lager said:
Glass fermenters recieve a 24 hour soak with napisan, cold water only rinse with cold water, drain, and air dry.

[post="124169"][/post]​

Having owned glass fermenters now for about 6 years one thing I've realised contrary to the hot water and shattering carboy theories is that cold water + napisan = a bit of a non-event and the krausen ring's still there a couple of days later much to my chagrin. :)

I fill them with hot water (think tap hot, not boiling) and the carboys have survived OK. It also seems to allow the napisan to work in a more orderly manner. ;)

The thermal shock thing while being a real possibility is sometimes overstated.

Warren -

But NEVER add boiling water... I learned that the hard way...

I like to use warm water, enough to dissolve the granules & fill to the top. I use this for plastic & glass, and as noted above air dry. When it comes to using the equipment again, Iodophor is let out for a run. :super:

Okay so I am just about to send my New pilsner to the secondary fermentation carboy. My first attempt at secondary fermentation so i should fill my new carboy to the top with hot water not boiling and add napisan then leave overnight to clean.
Next day empty carboy rinse with water then clean with idophur

Add the nappi-san first, then the hot water.

It will foam up, so you will have to top it up when the foam settles

Does anyone use bleech for cleaning their fermentors ?

Pro's/Con's of bleech?

Nui said:
Does anyone use bleech for cleaning their fermentors ?

Pro's/Con's of bleech?
[post="124914"][/post]​
Why bother, when Napisan works so well

Normell

Back