Carbonator Caps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocore

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Real quick one, when using these things, is there a method to make sure minimal O2 is in the headspace after carbing a pet bottle, or giving a pet bottle a bit of a charge after filling up from the tap?

I've done a couple of experiment ones and they fiz up after taking of the cap and i'm then quickly screwing the lid on before the head dies down so that no O2 gets in, seems a bit messy and was wondering if there's a better way for sending beers off to comps.

fill the pet bottle with a headspace, then squeeze the sides in till the liquid is right at the lip and screw on the cap....headspace is gone, bottle is deformed.....then when you put it on the gas, pop. Bottle goes back into shape, but it's only co2 in the headspace. Shake as normal to charge....

The problem comes in if you want to replace the carb cap with a normal cap. Then you need to let it settle completely, and chill it as cold as it will go. Then quickly swap the caps over. You'll introduce a little bit of normal air, but it will be very minimal, and is afaik unavoidable.....but the main thing is, there was no air, only co2, in when shaking like buggery.

So I'm bumping an old post because I just have a quick question...

I have a carbonator cap... what pressure should I be putting into my PET bottle?

I would be pouring from my keg tap into the bottle so cold, already fairly carbonated... I would just want to keep it carbonated (@ about 2.5 volumes?) for a day or two so I can take it out of the house. Do I need to shake it etc? Is there a process?

So I'm bumping an old post because I just have a quick question...

I have a carbonator cap... what pressure should I be putting into my PET bottle?

I would be pouring from my keg tap into the bottle so cold, already fairly carbonated... I would just want to keep it carbonated (@ about 2.5 volumes?) for a day or two so I can take it out of the house. Do I need to shake it etc? Is there a process?

*bump*

Anyone?

if your beers already carbonated (in fact maybe put a bit more in it cause you will loose some) just fill the bottle at serving pressure, or if using a gun/bronco turn it right down so it just trickles down the side, no splashing.

As Fents said, transfer without causing too much foaming, then just hit it with normal serving pressure (just under 1 bar)

QldKev

Also I've been thinking about making some of my own carb caps pretty cheaply. Basically just drill a hole in a cap and insert a normal valve stem into it. Then have one of the air line tools fitted up to your CO2 source.

QldKev

So are these suitable to replace bottle conditioning all together?

They will carbonate anything including beer straight out of the fermenter. Good for getting an idea of what it will taste like without waiting to carbonate properly, or making soft drinks or turning wine into champaine style wine, or taking keg beer to competitions. lots of uses.

Mention this site and i'll throw in an extra cap. (Until stocks last)

davo002 :icon_drunk:

Yumm, black rubber flavoured beer :icon_vomit:

Save up for the real ones that have a CO ball lock moulded into the top, so much easier to use and clean and sanitise. The ball lock gas connection is also much less prone to blowing off whilst you are shaking an inverted bottle full of beer while you quickly force carb it.

Or if you are going to try home made ones look for the stainless steel threaded valve stems you find on fleebay every so often.

Also they are not really a substitute for bottle conditioning, that is what a keg is for :)

Latest posts

Back