Carbonation station something in between bottling and kegging?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluc

Reaction score
Hey all first post here :) just came to ask a question about an in between bottling and kegging carbonation solution.

I am new to home brewing and wondering about carbonating alcoholic drinks ( beer wine). Dont like the idea of bottling, lots of washing and sanitizing followed by measuring sugar for each bottle then capping.Also takes up lots space both long term storage and refrigerator space. I like the idea of kegging but I would not drink enough to make it worthwile, so was trying to think of an in between solution. I thought about using a soda stream machine but again only small 1l bottles then I found this wep page for a home carbonation setup http://www.popsci.com.au/make/projects/how-to-make-your-own-home-drink-carbonation-system,377857 which will carbonate 2l soft drink bottle. So it seems that this may work.

So my question is will this work can I carbonate beer and wine using this method or will the bottle just overflow and empty itself ? I know water can be carbonated this way but what about beer and wine?

this will work.. check it out at ur local home brew shop.. I use it to test wort from time to time and force carbonate a small amount

Also have a think about bulk priming - plenty of info on the site on it if you do a search

I use this method to carbonate my hydrometer samples, so I can have an early taste of my brews. Also considered doing it for the kids.

But be careful! Soda bottles don't have safety relief valves like kegs do! Pressure can be dangerous.

If you go sodastream route (~$50 for sodastream bottle?) then the rest of the components can be sourced from examples such as:

CO2 Soda Stream Adaptor With Washers - Now Comes With Fully Adjustable Pin CPB2121A $22.00 $22.00
Gas Ball Lock Disconnect - STD WI25575 $6.95 $6.95
One Way Check Valve - Regulator ProtectorWI25656 $9.00 $9.00
Stainless Steel Mini RegulatorWI26501 $46.00 $46.00
Carbonation & Kegerator Line Cleaner Cap & Counter Pressure Bottle FillerK1211B $17.95 $17.95
5mm Inner Diameter & 8mm Outer Diameter Beer & Gas Line - Per MeterCPBL21 $1.80 $1.80 Beer Line

Sub-Total: $103.70 Total: $103.70

Awesome heaps of great info thanks for the links and replies. If I go the way of the web page I linked to I could probably put a pressure release valve in the line also...I think this will be the way to go bulk storgae in a fermenter or a hdpe barrel and just carbonate as needed.

You could always just naturally carbonate two litre bottles using secondary fermentation and build up a collection of "mini kegs"
This is what I did for a couple of years before going into kegging.

Peak beer.jpg

'mini kegs', I love it.

Latest posts

Back