Carbonation Levels

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosto

Reaction score
Just wondering what levels most people carb to.

I started out using carb drops and was reasonably happy (maybe a little over-carbed but not too bad) with the carbonation levels, but moved to bulk priming for simplicity more than anything. Carbed my first bulk primed batch (Aussie lager) to middle of the range for style, but came out very under-carbed IMO, the next one (Euro lager) I carbed to the upper limit for the style, but still seemed very under-carbed.

I made a batch as payment for a mate and didn't want it under carbed so moved back to drops. Botteld two dozen 750ml bottles for him and six 500ml bottles for myself so I could try it. I put two drops in the big bottles and one in the 500ml bottles. The one drop per 500 ml was carbed perfectly for my taste so I measured a few different drops on my hop scale and they came in around 5g. So, thats 10g / litre, which is certainly higher than most styles recommend and why I'm thinking I thought the bulk primed batches were under-carbed. Furthermore, I calculate that two drops per 750 ml is more like 13-14g / litre, which is way above most styles and, I assuming, why most people feel drops over-carbonate when used in the recommended quantities.

I'm moving to kegs soon so will probably only bottle the few litres of each batch that doesn't fit in the keg into 500 ml bottles to take to BBQ's etc, so probably won't bother bulk priming again, but just interested in how most people like their beer carbed.

Kegs - 300 kpa for 24 hours. Suits me fine.

750ml bottles, the big scoop of my priming thingie of white sugar. Whatever the style.
I've found carb drops inconsistent in the past, so I never use them.

My theory is I can always let an overcarbed beer sit there until it calms down.
Based on the theorem that there are few things in life more disappointing than a milk crate of flat beers.

I suggest kegging for even carbonation
For my money Bulk priming is a waste under/over carbed beer
Better off priming each bottle but i dont bottle much of any beer
As the graduations on the fermenter are wrong According to me
Ive never used carb drops so cant comment on these
But if you work out the graduations on fermenter LT v Real LT in fermenter
All should be good
But it will take few brews to work this out
Or calibratate fermenter
To suit bulk priming
Might seem confusing but it is as basic as
Do the liters in the fermenter equal the litres that are actually in the fermenter

Edit :f#ck im drunk does this make sense

bulk priming is the way to go IMO. You just need to make sure that the priming sugar is mixed by dissolving it first and adding just after the fermenter drains into the bunk priming vessel.

I tend to do my english/american ales between 1.5-2.2 (lower for most english and higher for american). I'll prime less in an ale that I think I'll be drinking in winter time as I'll probably drink it straight from under the house (about 13-15 degrees in the winter) or let it warm up a bit before drinking. Warmer temps will make the beer release the co2 quicker.

my belgians tend to be carbed at around 2.4-2.7. I could probably go higher with them but again I tend to drink those at over 10*.

I prime each bottle using dextrose if I can be bothered, sugar if I can't, never noticed a difference. I'll admit the carb levels aren't exactly identical, but they're pretty close.
Off topic, but I've noticed that I can't seem to go over 2.5 vols (as calculated by this calculator) without getting fizzers (head overflowing when opened).

Latest posts

Back