Carbonation in closed fermenter.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dunn

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first brew in my conical fermenter is under way.

I pitched the yeast starter and it came to life, bubbling away through the air lock for the first 4 days.

At day 5 I fitted my pressure relief valve to seal the fermenter and let the pressure build up to 5 PSI. It has been holding 5PSI now for 3 days.

My question is : Can the beer be carbonated fully this way? I can't see why not but hey, I am no expert!!

Is there a formula that I can apply or possibly an online "calculator"?

Cheers

Joe

I may be missing something... But why do you want to carbonate in a conical?

Hi Bats

My fermenter is capable of holding 10/12 PSI. I had a thought that when I close it off the pressure in the fermenter would start to carbonate the beer, saving me force carbonating it as usual.

I found this article http://www.terifahrendorf.com/Closed-Pressurized-Fermenatation.pdf and it seemed to shed some light on the subject.

Having read this I am still unsure as to the amount of carbonation that would occur.

Cheers

Joe

This chart which was put together by Wortgames a few years ago will give you an indication of what sort of carbonation pressure is required at what temp for the appropriate style of beer. The chart has a HEAP of other invaluable info that is worth looking at too.
At Ale fermenting temps it looks like your conical probably isn't up to the task.
Cheers
Doug

Thanks for the info Doogiechap.

I see the pressures are quite high.

I wonder if at 5 to 10 psi how much carbonation would occur?

Back