Carbonation Drops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pourmeanother

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering if anybody has thoughts on using CSR suger cubes in place of Carb Drops

The drops weigh approx 4.15 g against the cubes approx 4.5 g .

Thanks Todd

i have read on here of people using them not quiet sure one the bottle sizes surely .35 of a gram wouldnt matter too much whats the price difference or carb drops vs the cubes

Dont think that the price was much different . But drops 250g V cubes 450 g .

Only thing is they are bigger than the hole they have to go in , so have to be broken . Just looking at Coopers Site it says 6g / 750 ml thus 1 & 1/3 cubes

Maybe the carb drops are better .

Do a search, BribieG uses them and swears by them. Sorry, but I'm too tired and pissy to do the search for you and provide a link. The info is here, just have to search for it.

You can search by finding his profile and searching through his posts if you don't like goggle or the search function here.

edit: of course goggle is the drunk version of google

Thanks fot the advise guys

Will check BribieG,s thread thanks Lecterfan That was probably the BEER GOGGLES That caused that typo

Cheers Todd

I think you will find that sugar cubes will fit into every PET Bottle but need crushing to fit into glass.

Before I got a second fermenter and bulk primed I used the little sugar scoop Brigalows from Woolies $3.00 got a cheapo very small funnel and just used dex or caster sugar. Reckon could prime 30x750ml bottles quicker than preparing the bulk priming bucket.

I would say bulk priming becomes essential once you end up with a varied collection of weird sized bottles.
Also started out the brewing game using carb drops in Coopers PET bottles cannot say I had any problems but I used to shake the bottles to make sure they were dissolved. Probably did not need it but never got oxidisation from the tiny bit of air in the neck of the bottles.

P.S. If I recall correctly BribieG only used one cube for a 750ml bottle.

Latest posts

Back