Carbon/ashy taste from element

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris79

Reaction score
Hi all

I brew BIAB, in an electric Nano-Brewery kettle. When I finished the mash, I raised the grain bag and sparged the grains with about 10 litres of water for my pre-boil vol of about 30 litres. Anyway the mash and boil went well.

My brew has now finished fermentation. There is a kind of smell that is a bit like something burnt on the bbq and has a bit of a ashy taste.

My question is, will some of that aroma and taste dissipate over time in a secondary vessel - esp when chilled as close to zero as I can? Could I add something to the fermentor before I take it off the yeast in a few days? Like some aroma hops or some Cal Cholride (brewed Belgian Bier de Garde). Would that improve/cover up the taste? Secondly, what's your preferred way of cleaning elements to remove that burnt kind of build up etc?

Cheers
Chris

I had a similar problem a while back. I couldn't find a way to mask the taste but I certainly didn't try everything humanly possible. However, I assure you lagering/cellaring will not remove a burnt flavour.

To clean your element - soaking in vinegar and water should lift the char. You can even boil this mixture if required

Best of luck

Garf

Never found a way to hide/remove scorched flavours.
The main cause is too much malt flour in the kettle. Better milling (more kibble less flour), a finer bag, according to BribeG lifting the bag slowly, squeezing the bag will all add to the amount of crap in the kettle. Too much and it will burn on and stuff your beer.

Best way to remove burnt crud I have found is oven spray, it's made for the job and works well.
Mark

Whenever it has happened on my concealed element I have always soaked for a short time in lemon juice and then it came right off, not sure if that will work for exposed elements though.

Cheers Garfield, Mark and Hopospy!

I tried some bi-carb on Monday night I think, it's better. But still could get it cleaner. Think I'll give the oven cleaner a go next time @MHB cheers. I've got another bag, I'll try that next time.

Cheers guys.

I did a brew today, after cleaning the element, and no disgusting carbony smell...woot.

Back