Carbed cold brew coffee

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha I'm actually clean shaven now, first time this year I think.

And any real hipster wouldnt be caught dead on a board like your JD. Non vintage. You definately pass the no hipster test.

mje1980 said:
Haha I'm actually clean shaven now, first time this year I think.

I know its a bit OT, but I just want to clear up something.. you can make well rounded hot espresso without bitterness. I do it all the time. its a lot to do with how fine you grind your beans.. if you grind them to powder you will have bitter hot coffee.. grind to the size of coarse sand or just a bit bigger than grains of sugar, don't have your heat too fierce (medium low is good), coffee doesn't like being rushed.

and use something like this http://www.coffeacoffee.com.au/bialetti-venus
preferably Stainless Steel, those aluminium ones suck.. Oh and do not wash them out with soap, use only hot water.. they kind of get seasoned.

Topher said:
If you need sugar in your coffee....find a better barista.

Certainly no need for sugar MHB, a good cold brew is well rounded with almost none of the bitter oils or acidic tastes. In effect it is much sweeter.

I think the point being made that carbonating the naturally sweet coffee will lower the pH (with carbonic acid) and disturb the balance the coffee had before carbonation. Adding sugar at that stage would be to try and restore that balance.

Just think of how carbonating water makes it taste sharper.

The current world champion barista Sasa Setic was playing around with kegs and CO2 when planning his signature brew for the Nationals. He wasn't enjoying the astringency the CO2 gave it so I loaned him a beer engine. The agitation and aeration worked well (really smoothed it out), but the volumes required to prime the engine made it unsuitable for competition.

Other beans/roasts etc may work better for CO2 carbonation, but it might take a bit of trial and error.

As was previously suggested, try it out with a PET bottle and carb cap first.

Good luck!

I have recently made some carbonated cold steeped coffee.
Very simple & as suggested carbonated in a PET bottle with a home made carbonator cap type arrangement. I really like the character cold & carbonated.

From memory I worked ~ 300g coffee per litre, steeped cold for a day or so.

Latest posts

Back