Carbed cold brew coffee

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topher

Reaction score
I love cold brew, and i know a few purveyors and roasters who serve from a keg. But they do it on nitro to lessen/elimainate carbonation.

I cant afford a nitro rig (unfortunately. ....) but was thinking about putting a small keg of fizzy bean juice on. Has anyone tried or heard of this? Might be fun for cocktail contruction and blending into other beers.......

Chilled carbonated coffee? unless I'm confused.
Have dont the Ice tea thing. I can squeeze an 11lt keg in and use it as non alcohol fizzy drinks.
Is this like home brew Coca Cola? :unsure:

Have you looked into a cream charger? You know the tool all the chefs use on TV to make foams, whipped cream in 2 seconds. They use No2 might be able to gas up a cold brew.
I had one @ Proud Mary in Collingwood and it was great! Report back on a carbonated version.

MHB said:
I just bet you have a beard and a fixie

M
No beard or fixie.....and i do not own a vintage Polaroid camera nor do i have any tattoos.

I do have a penchant for single fin surfboards though......

Well in that case Ok then, I suspect that unless you add quite a lot of sugar it wont taste too good. The change in pH from the carbonation will probably conflict with the coffee flavour and mask it considerably.
I'm not all that big a fan of cold extracted coffee, more of a strong very hot espresso type of drinker, but each to their own...
Mark

Look at it this way. If it doesn't work out, you can always huff the nitrous.

31S2rl50nhL._SY300_.jpg

MHB said:
Well in that case Ok then, I suspect that unless you add quite a lot of sugar it wont taste too good. The change in pH from the carbonation will probably conflict with the coffee flavour and mask it considerably.
I'm not all that big a fan of cold extracted coffee, more of a strong very hot espresso type of drinker, but each to their own...
Mark
If you need sugar in your coffee....find a better barista.

Certainly no need for sugar MHB, a good cold brew is well rounded with almost none of the bitter oils or acidic tastes. In effect it is much sweeter.

Topher said:
If you need sugar in your coffee....find a better barista.

Certainly no need for sugar MHB, a good cold brew is well rounded with almost none of the bitter oils or acidic tastes. In effect it is much sweeter.
Agreed. And I don't have sugar in my espresso either.

I made a super strong cold steep coffee on the weekend, 100g of freshly ground beans into a cup of water. Cold steeped in the fridge for 24-hrs and hen filtered. There was zero bitterness in it. It was then added to an oatmeal stout I'm messing about with.

Coffee on tap!?! I can see the advantages, and the down sides...... I'd never sleep again.

Spiesy said:
Agreed. And I don't have sugar in my espresso either.
I made a super strong cold steep coffee on the weekend, 100g of freshly ground beans into a cup of water. Cold steeped in the fridge for 24-hrs and hen filtered. There was zero bitterness in it. It was then added to an oatmeal stout I'm messing about with.
Is that all you need to do to make cold brewed coffee?. Hmmmm.

I do have a beard and I ride a twin keeled fish ( when my knee allows :) )

mje1980 said:
Is that all you need to do to make cold brewed coffee?. Hmmmm.

It's not cold drip coffee, just cold steeped. I did some reading online and it seems to work. The flavour was very coffee-ish, without any bitterness.

Tex083 said:
I'm keen as to hear how the oatmeal Stout turns out. Keep us posted, or I should just join the brew club!
Will do.

I've been soaking a couple of vanilla beans in a shot of vodka for a week. Will also add this infused vodka when I get home today.

The stout was pretty boring, so it's a good opportunity to experiment.

Dave70 said:
Look at it this way. If it doesn't work out, you can always huff the nitrous.
Even if it does work out.. giggles had by all.

mje1980 said:
Is that fluff considered a beard now? :lol:

Back