Caraway In Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoey

Reaction score
Tonys roggenbier has me thinking.

I'm a keen home baker as well as brewer and bake heaps of rye bread. Most rye recipes call for caraway seeds in the dough and I've got to say that it has become almost synonymous with with rye breads. I've read a little about caraway in beer but I can't find any reliable opinions either way. Has anyone here tried caraway in thier beers, rye or otherwise, I'd love to hear opinions from you guys.

Cheers,
Schoey.

the recent beer doco on foxtel featured a guy who had used caraway in a rye and a search here found this post, among others, so i'll try and revive it..

apart from a little coriander in a wheat my use of spices in beer is nil so any help here would be great, anyone used it in a roggen ?

cheers

Dave

i used some in a dubbel a few years back, was very nice.
i've heard of heaps of people using it in rye beers (although certainly not germans)...

the bjcp frowns on it in the traditional german roggenbier:
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style15.php#1d "It is inappropriate to add caraway seeds to a roggenbier (as some American brewers do); the rye character is traditionally from the rye grain only."

but i say stuff the reinheitsgebot and the bjcp, have a go!

When I lived in the UK and my palate wasn't attuned to Aus beers, the Australian Brewed Fosters Lager always, to my taste, had a distinct caraway hint.

Slightly OT, but green cardamom sits nicely in a spiced beer. Pairs up nicely with galangal.

i used some in a dubbel a few years back, was very nice.
i've heard of heaps of people using it in rye beers (although certainly not germans)...

thanks neon, just been reading classic styles for a few tips (must try the pumpkin ale :) ), did you add all the spice at flame out or half in the boil and half after fermentation ?

When I lived in the UK and my palate wasn't attuned to Aus beers, the Australian Brewed Fosters Lager always, to my taste, had a distinct caraway hint.

g'day bribie, pedigree bitter and newky brown were my choice when i was there ( scrumpy and stella for a snakebite in the summer though ;) )

Slightly OT, but green cardamom sits nicely in a spiced beer. Pairs up nicely with galangal.

g'day Nick, read your disclaimer so taking your post with a pinch of salt.. ;)

cheers

Dave

this was about 7 years ago but i think i just chucked it in for 5 mins at the end... cant remember how much i used sorry. but not much i don't think!

7 years :eek:
i can't find brew notes from last month :D

i guess i'll start with 20gm finely crushed late in the boil in the next roggen

cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back