CaraRye - Weyermann

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NT.Thunder

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm trying to find some cararye for a little creatures IPA clone but am having no luck from any of the homebrew shops I've tried.

Does anyone know who might have some in stock I can arrange for delivery? Who are the best guys to use for internet orders that may hold this. All the sites with this listed on their websites after I order tell me they don't have any in stock.

Try Brewman, Steve has stocked this previously and ships.

Lemon

Could you use wey. rye for the rye flavour and maybe some carabohemian for the colour and flavour. It's not something I've done but could be a way to get it going without the cararye.

A while ago I was attempting to make a Firestone Walker Wookey Jack clone ( a black rye IPA) which called for cararye. I had a lot of trouble finding it also. Even Grain and Grape dont stock it. Ended up having to get it shipped down from Craftbrewer. Not sure if it really made a massive difference to the beer but I was trying to get as close to the original as I could. So yeah... craftbrewer is probably your best bet

I needed some crystal & choc rye for a recipe a couple of weeks ago and found some good info on these forums & this site http://barleypopmaker.info/2009/12/08/home-roasting-your-malts/ about making your own.
Did both and they did taste, look & smell pretty good, but I'm a week away from kegging so still have to wait for the verdict.

WP_20150405_001.jpg

cheers!

That is an awesome guide.
I brewed a rye porter a couple of weeks ago and haven't bottled it yet but I ended up changing the recipe at the last minute because I couldn't get any crystal rye. Next time I'll just roast my own!

Thanks for the information, heaps to work with now. FWIW I did end up getting some sent down from Craftbrewer.

I do have have CaraRye, just FYI.

I am not that big of a Rye fan, but Mark, MHB, dropped in to get some the other day. And after cracking and tasting it I love it, it's very tasty! I think you'll like it.

Cheers Steve

Back