Carapills fine particles make beer cloudy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bry2

Reaction score
A question for those that have steeped carapills for their brews without using a fine mesh grain bag - do you find your fermented brew takes a long time (5 days) to clear during cold crash and then is easily disturbed (not compact)?

My last 2 brews I have used carapils and only been able to filter with a coarse strainer and have had the above effect. All other ingredients are normal- malt extract, dextrose, hops and morgans yeast for the first and nottingham ale yeast for the second (both of which are meant to flocculate well). I also used wheat malt extract in the second but not the first.

I am confident it is not the yeast as I have used US-05 before which is not a great floculator and it has cleared in the fridge after a few hours.

I would love to hear some other peoples experiences with carapills.

There's a lot of things that can cause cloudiness in your beer, yeast, proteins, hops vegetal staining etc.

What was the recipe and what carapils did you use?

I've taught a fair few brewers steeping and used Briess Carapils in a number of recipes, but never seen it cause this issue.

Martin

,,, and chill haze
Carapils doesn't behave differently to any other "stewed" then kilned Cara/Caramel/Crystal malt - it is, essentially, the lightest of the crystals. I use it in paler ales, that don't have much crystal, for head retention and some body at around +/-5%, and in low gravity Milds for body at around 15% and haven't had the same experience...

bry2 said:
My last 2 brews I have used carapils and only been able to filter with a coarse strainer and have had the above effect.
Used nothing but a kitchen sieve for all my K&B brews and had no huge issues with clarity.

Is carapils the only spec grain you've ever used? If so, your process might need looking at rather than the grain itself.

Interesting. So it seems like its not the carapills. I am not sure what type it is - I got it from Marks Home Brew in Newcastle.

Past 2 recipies have been:

Morgans blue mountain lager kit
500g light dry malt extract
500g dextrose
250 g carapills steeped 30 mins around 65-70 deg c (i think from memory)
15 g hersbruker hops @ 1min
Kit yeast
Ferment at 20 deg C

Coopers aus pale ale kit
500g wheat dry malt extract
500g dextrose
250 g carapills steeped 30 mins around 65-70 deg c (i think from memory)
12g williamete @ 5min
12g nelson sauvin @ 3min
12g amarillo @ 1min
Danstar nottingham ale yeast
Ferment at 17 deg C

I have used 250g of caramalt before this and had no problems. So I have no idea what could cause this slow time to settle.

Note: the taste has been fine for both brews just not a very compact sediment in the bottles which gets disturbed easy and clouds the second schooner pour.

How long are you boiling the steeped liquid for?
Are you cold crashing?

indica86 said:
How long are you boiling the steeped liquid for?
Are you cold crashing?
Boiling for about 5 mins and yes I cold crash at 0.5 deg C for about a week. After this time the beer clears but the sediment is not very compact and is easily disturbed clouding up the beer. Same occurs in the bottles after being in the fridge a week, beer is clear until the second pour or if the sediment gets disturbed. This has not been such an issue with beers prior to the last 2.

NewtownClown said:
Getting any protein break from a 5 min boil???
Thats an idea. I thought I did when i added the hops but maybe I didn't boil long enough. So if I have no hot break forming from these grains, the proteins remain fine and dont sink to the bottom easily?

How long do you guys normally boil the liquid to get hot break?

Latest posts

Back