Caramunich Ii Substitute

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross

I think the problem lies in the fact that a lot of British brewers use Brewer's Caramel which is a syrup of sorts. :unsure:

here

Strange. I usually find the British Crystal Malts give some really good results. Particularly in conjunction with around 2% Baird's Amber Malt. This tends to ehance the nuttiness a little. :chug:

Edit: Ross I've tried Caramalt. I find the flavour a little docile. Also the colour probably won't be where you want it unless you add a little roast as well.

Warren -

Yep, i agree with you Warren on the caramel additions. I love the british crystals, just not quite giving me what I'm after - I've actually got quite close combing with corn in the past, which is part of the recipe of my favourite Sussex bitter. My flaked maize arrives next week though, so maybe I'll hang fire till my next brew.

cheers Ross

Yep, i agree with you Warren on the caramel additions. I love the british crystals, just not quite giving me what I'm after - I've actually got quite close combing with corn in the past, which is part of the recipe of my favourite Sussex bitter. My flaked maize arrives next week though, so maybe I'll hang fire till my next brew.

cheers Ross

Sussex eh? Not Harveys Sussex best bitter by chance? That's a lovely drop. :beerbang:

I still think the answer for an authentic bitter lies in the dispense. I'd give my left nut for a handpump. :rolleyes:

If you ever decide to take the plunge and start stocking them Ross... I know what I'm gettin' next Christmas. :lol:

Warren -

cheers Ross

At the risk of taking this totally off topic, what is your favourite bitter? (Batemans XXXB does it for me :) ).
Anyway how does this grain bill look for a Bitter?

4.5 kg JW Ale malt
0.3 kg Bairds Cark Crystal
0.3 kg Wheat malt

(might as well use what I've already got)

Sussex eh? Not Harveys Sussex best bitter by chance? That's a lovely drop. :beerbang:

I still think the answer for an authentic bitter lies in the dispense. I'd give my left nut for a handpump. :rolleyes:

If you ever decide to take the plunge and start stocking them Ross... I know what I'm gettin' next Christmas. :lol:

Warren -

Harvey's Sussex is a great drop, but was actually refering to King & Barnes Sussex (now Badgers Sussex), which was my local drop - Pub was about 50m from the brewery.
I'm not that big a fan of the handpump, in a homebrew situation, too much beer sitting in the handpump getting hot. The best ales in England are served direct from the cask rather than hand pump - when i get my coldroom in I'm going to have a couple of gravity feed naturally carbonated ales coming through the wall into my bar :chug:

cheers Ross

At the risk of taking this totally off topic, what is your favourite bitter? (Batemans XXXB does it for me :) ).
Anyway how does this grain bill look for a Bitter?

4.5 kg JW Ale malt
0.3 kg Bairds Cark Crystal
0.3 kg Wheat malt

(might as well use what I've already got)

Back on topic - Looks pretty good winkle, though I'd personally drop the dark crystal a tad lower.

cheers Ross

Yes warren, but not in a bitter - I've been trying to get the caramel taste of an English bitter with little success - just tried caraaroma & it was nowhere near the mark. AndQld's bitter is probably the closest to the mark i've tried. The Dark ctystal is sweet rather than caramelly, was tempted to use straight caramalt - Any ideas, anyone?

cheers Ross

Unless you want to get into the Caramels, I've found with a bit of practice, a tray of Bairds Pale malt, lightly sprayed and toasted in the oven does a pretty good job. The longer you leave it, the darker it gets so you'll need to practice but the beauty is that you can keep notes and repeat the practice to make the perfect addition to suit your needs...

A primer on toasting your malt is: here............

Cheers,
TL

Thanks TL, but not sure I'd dare invade the kitchen with malt - Jacky's non too happy that the brewing has taken over almost every other area of the house already :)

Settled on this I think :unsure: :

Carbrook bitter III
Standard/Ordinary Bitter

Type: All Grain
Date: 2/02/2007
Batch Size: 28.00 L
Boil Size: 36.61 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.0

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.70 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 86.0 %
0.20 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (139.9 EBC) Grain 4.7 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC) Grain 4.7 %
0.10 kg Carared (Weyermann) (47.3 EBC) Grain 2.3 %
0.10 kg Chocolate Malt (886.5 EBC) Grain 2.3 %
25.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10%] (30 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
15.00 gm Challenger [7.80%] (30 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
30.00 gm Bramling Cross [8.60%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10%] (10 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
30.00 gm Bramling Cross [8.60%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.10%] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.50 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.041 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 3.8 %
Bitterness: 32.7 IBU
Est Color: 24.3 EBC

Thanks TL, but not sure I'd dare invade the kitchen with malt - Jacky's non too happy that the brewing has taken over almost every other area of the house already :)

Settled on this I think :unsure: :

Tasty! :beer:

Warren -

Yes warren, but not in a bitter - I've been trying to get the caramel taste of an English bitter with little success - just tried caraaroma & it was nowhere near the mark. AndQld's bitter is probably the closest to the mark i've tried. The Dark ctystal is sweet rather than caramelly, was tempted to use straight caramalt - Any ideas, anyone?

cheers Ross
Ross try a bit of Jaggery palm sugar seems to work for me, check out Smashed Santa bitter in the recipes section and the feedback on the sandgropers 2006 case.

Ross try a bit of Jaggery palm sugar seems to work for me, check out Smashed Santa bitter in the recipes section and the feedback on the sandgropers 2006 case.

Thanks Ausb, may just be the go - Where's the best place to get it - Asian stores I'm guessing?

Cheers ross

Yeah Asian shops are best, just beware the dark stuff get the one that is a tan colour and little pillow shaped blocks. And taste it 1st! I used the dark stuff in a cider once but had already boiled it with some spices and thrown it in the fermenter before I decided to taste test a bit. It was one of those "I wish I hadn't done that moments" and the strong taste took about 6 months to subside to a drinkable level. If it tastes good then it is good!!

I think that dark stuff is nice, but I've only used it in darker Belgians. I can't imagine it would work well in a cider. :blink:

The paler palm sugar is good in lighter beers. I used it in a summer ale which SWMBO has informed me I am making again. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back