Capping empty bottles for storage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently came into a whole stack of Pickaxe longnecks, but they're absolutely filthy. Theres too many to use in a few batches, so I'm going to need to clean them and store some empties long term. My plan is to clean them in batches, soak in starsan and then cap them with some cheap crown seals with the plan that this will keep the insides of the bottles pretty clean and free of spiders. When I get around to using them, I should be able to just rinse any dust off the outside, uncap and give another quick rinse in Starsan.

Has anyone stored their bottles like this before or does anyone have any other tips for long term bottle storage?

Should be fine, just make sure the bottles are fully dry before you cap them.

Store them as they are and clean for each batch clean bottles do not stay that way for a long time .Plastic paint pails are useful 15 liters dulux are PP5 could possibly be food grade if properly cleaned but good for cleaning and storage of bottles .

Clean them properly with napisan and store in milk crates. when it is time to bottle give them a rinse out with your choice of sanitizer and bottle. double washing double sanitizing and double capping will just take up time and $$$

Drop It Like It's Hop said:
I recently came into a whole stack of Pickaxe longnecks, but they're absolutely filthy. Theres too many to use in a few batches, so I'm going to need to clean them and store some empties long term. My plan is to clean them in batches, soak in starsan and then cap them with some cheap crown seals with the plan that this will keep the insides of the bottles pretty clean and free of spiders. When I get around to using them, I should be able to just rinse any dust off the outside, uncap and give another quick rinse in Starsan.

Has anyone stored their bottles like this before or does anyone have any other tips for long term bottle storage?
How about wrapping each bottle in cling film? That way you will keep the inside and outside pretty clean and free of spiders and no need to cap.

Personally I would just give them a quick clean now if they are really filthy and a thorough clean as and when needed.

Dae Tripper said:
I have seen plenty of people use a little alfoil over the top.
That's what I do. Clean the bottles, store them with a alfoil cap then sanitize before bottling.

+1 for alfoil. Cheaper and quicker than capping and keeps the bottles clean. I dont bottle much anymore but that just means I need to keep the ones I do have clean for longer. The ones that don't fit in my lidded boxes are closed up with alfoil. They're all stored clean and ready to sanitise.

Blind Dog said:
+1 for alfoil. Cheaper and quicker than capping and keeps the bottles clean. I dont bottle much anymore but that just means I need to keep the ones I do have clean for longer. The ones that don't fit in my lidded boxes are closed up with alfoil. They're all stored clean and ready to sanitise.
+2 here as well

Capping them is a waste, a waste of time,a waste of caps and a waste of money.
Clean them,dry them and store them,with the foil cover ( a bloody good idea ).
If time and space is limited clean as many as you can then dry them etc.

Just keep your bottle tops from the beer you drink. they sit back on bottles well enough to keep em clean no need to use a capper,just push them on with your thumb.

Rob.P said:
Just keep your bottle tops from the beer you drink. they sit back on bottles well enough to keep em clean no need to use a capper,just push them on with your thumb.
Derr???

+3 for alfoil....

I de-label in bulk, clean in bulk & then sanitise in bulk (Starsan), with a bit of alfoil on top once they're drained (still wet).

NEVER had a problem bottling directly into bottles processed this way, but you may want to give them another hit with Starsan if you're feeling anal...

Clean em (napisan etc), rinse, bit of Starsan, foil. Ready to bottle in 1, 2, 24 months

If they are really filthy then soak them in nappi-san for a few days then grab you trusty drill and put a bottle brush in it and give them a clean.

Then dry, alfoil, and sanitise just before bottling.

Clean your bottles, allow to dry and place in crates, boxes or whatever and place news paper over the top to keep dust out, the "lift outs" in the weekend papers are excellent as they have a bit of weight. This system is cheap and works well.
Cheers

When I used bottles I just cleaned & dried and put a bit og glad wrap over the top.
Worked ok.

Next time you are at your LHBS

see if they have the plastic sleeves that people put over corked bottles , reusable and kiss

should be around even though srew caps have taken the market over

most home wineos wold still use corks , not having the gear

Latest posts

Back