Cappers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LukeCharles

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was just wondering which type of capper is the best?

<H1 class=vi-is1-titleH1>Bottle Top Capper two-handle Home Brew Beer crown seal</H1>
the two handle ones which are quite small and can be easily handheld or the large ones with the pull down handle that sits on a table?

Need to buy one soon just wondering which is best.....................

Hello All,

I was just wondering which type of capper is the best?

<H1 class=vi-is1-titleH1>Bottle Top Capper two-handle Home Brew Beer crown seal</H1>
the two handle ones which are quite small and can be easily handheld or the large ones with the pull down handle that sits on a table?

Need to buy one soon just wondering which is best.....................
I recommend paying the extra for a bench based model. I have managed to break and chip a few bottles using the two hand ones.

If you are referring to these,

Two handed capper

In comparison to these,

Bench capper

I would get the bench capper. The bench cappers are far better. The two handed cappers can be notorious for breaking bottles. The bench cappers are also able to change the bell that caps your bottles if you need a bigger bell.
Just my opinion.

Crusty

Pull down bench capper for sure.

chipped, cracked, and snapped necks with two handle one.

Exploded bottles with hand capper (hit with hammer/mallet) - shithouse.

Pull down handle capper definitely worth the coin.

haha.. as someone rather new to it as well, I'll add something I encountered.

A bench one is awesome. I got one. Trouble was, my bottles were getting stuck in the bell. I had to take off the bell with the bottle in it and examine it and release with a screwdriver to realise that you need to "tip the bottle" away from you to release from the bell. Its that simple, place bottle, put cap on top, press lever down, tip bottle away to release and its done :)

Hopefully ppl are less dense than me on obvious stuff but it might help someone as slow as me :p

This one?

Capper%20Stop.jpg

I've got a two handed & a bench capper. I stuck with the 2 handed capper while I was using different sized bottles. Now that I have enough bottles that are all the same size I use the bench capper.

Yes, i believe that is the stupid 2 handed capper that is notorious for breaking bottles.

I've got a two handed & a bench capper. I stuck with the 2 handed capper while I was using different sized bottles. Now that I have enough bottles that are all the same size I use the bench capper.

A lot of those bench cappers have heads that can be moved up and down to suit the bottle height. esp those superautomatica ones floating around, no need to get a hand capper unless you are planning to cap some reaaallly looooooooooooong bottle ;)

even with capping tiny special bottles, you can get a few more holes drilled in the column the head slides up and down on.

Only reason I stopped using a hand capper was because I was given a bench capper... I have found them to be just as quick as each other, but prefer the bench capper as I usually bottle late at night and don't want to wake the kids.

Lol, nice one.....

Love the thread - thanks for the advice, will be purchasing a bench capper on the weekend.

Thanks!!!!!

I used a handheld side-arm capper (the one you hammer) for long enough that the bottoms of the bottles being hammered scuffed up the pavement and now it is in quite an eroded state.

Fix 1 - Put down a piece of cardboard.

Fix 2 - Buy a benchtop capper (great investment! be sure to give it a wipe down and dry after use to stop corrosion and maybe even an oil (food grade) once in a blue moon to ensure it's functionability.

I used a handheld side-arm capper (the one you hammer) for long enough that the bottoms of the bottles being hammered scuffed up the pavement and now it is in quite an eroded state.

Fix 1 - Put down a piece of cardboard.

Fix 2 - Buy a benchtop capper (great investment! be sure to give it a wipe down and dry after use to stop corrosion and maybe even an oil (food grade) once in a blue moon to ensure it's functionability.

speechless.

I first starting using a hammer type capper, until a bottle smashed and sliced a large chunk out of my little finger (required stitching). I lost feeling in the top of my finger for 4 years.

I moved onto a two handed capper which worked really well for many years but lately it has broken 5 or 6 bottles (screw type) so I have retired it.

My brother gave me his bench capper and that's worked well but it does require a base on it.

So my advice would be invest in a bench capper and save yourself the hassle. You know you want to.

I have only broken one bottle using a hammer capper. It was a Little Creatures stubby and resulted in a big nasty stain on the carpet. I now stand any bottles to be capped in a plastic bucket first.
Coopers Longnecks are very tough and can be used with less worry about breaking.

Bench cappers are the way to go if you are doing lots of glass bottles but a $5.00 hammer capper is good for the occasional use.

LukeCharles, I have a spare bench capper at home - PM me if you would like to buy it. A little bit of rust on the base, but works fine.

Cheers!

Bench capper, hands down the way to go - Cheers

Latest posts

Back