Candisyrup.com Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adr_0

Gear Bod
Reaction score
Has anybody tried the recipes on www.candisyrup.com?

I bought a bunch of their syrups a year ago but never got the chance to use.

The recipes look good, but I'm also wary of anybody who claims the end product is better than the original.

Had anybody tried their recipes with their syrups?

I havent tried their recipes but I have used the D180 and the clear syrup. It really nice stuff and way supperior than others ive tried from Australian suppliers.

I have done several, and during my retailing days, put together recipes for other people from that site and find them excellent; very well thought out and researched recipe's indeed.
Got my hands on a sample of some of their syrups and couldn't tell the difference between the products from Candi Syrup and the sugars from Dark Candi Inc that are reasonably available here, they were way better than using Australian clear invert, golden syrup or treacle (or even home made candi) that some people might be using.
A limited range of dry Belgian sugars is available now, Clear and Amber Rock Candi as well as Soft Brown and Soft Dark Brown which should give us all more choices.
For making really spot on Belgian style beers I find the Belgian Pilsner Malt makes a real difference, as does your choice of yeast and hops, try to stay as authentic as possible.
Mark

drinking my first bottle of westy 12 clone made with the recipe from that site (although with dark2) right now: ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1411350616.036253.jpg

the first sip - dates, prunes, velvet, pepper - and it took me straight back to belgium 2002, the first time i tried this stuff. amazing how flavour and memory of place are linked in the deepest parts of your brain. i have this mental map of the world with beer taste. it really tastes like the real thing! only thing is the head ret could be better. next time i would throw in some flaked wheat.

Awesome, thanks guys.

That Westy 12 looks amazing. How long since you brewed it?

Most of these recipes recommend adding the syrup at the start of the boil, bit a few people have suggested adding simple sugars through the fermentation.

Do you think aging time could be improved by adding the syrup in portions through the fermentation, due to potential reduction of fusel /high all?

think i brewed it back in late jan, lost my beeralchemy notes with a change of ipad but i remember i hit the numbers including mash, ferment temps, og,fg perfectly - about the most careful ive ever been with a recipe. apart from using the other brand of candi syrup that is! so no dark malts whatsoever, just dingpils weyermann pale ale malt and 1L of candi syrup. tasting fine now although still a bit of alcohol heat that will smooth out and luckily i have all the rest of the batch still sitting over in sydney so i cant touch it till xmas.

to answer your question i think in my experience as long as you are using 3787 or a very strong alc tolerant yeast, pitched in good health, at the right temp, there's no need to stagger the sugar additions. unless youre making sink the bismarck. the alcohol will fade with time and esterify tastily.

Back