Can you identify this flowering shrub for me?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
I've been walking past this shrub for long enough on my way to the pub at night. When it's warm and dark the sweet fragrance is pretty intense. Finally got around to knocking on their door to ask what it is, I assumed it to be a variety of Jasmine. Walked away having being given a potted one and three cuttings :)

Thing is, they haven't got a clue what it's called.

Can anyone identify it for me? flow.jpg

Just to add we're in NSW, the shrub is at least two metres tall with woody stems.

Thanks BrosysBrews, we saw the one you posted, commonly known a Star Jasmine in a garden centre yesterday, don't think it's the same one though....

Hmmm star jasmine can get woody if left unkept but 2m self standing is doubtful, may not be impossible though, have seen honey suckle standardised before just took years to do.

Best bet is to take a cutting to your quality local nursery and talk to them, if that fails botanical gardens perhaps

Looks a bit like the Daphne in my front yard (not the Des`and variety). Smells awesome when flowering.

hawkgirl said:
My brother the horticulturist says Cestrum nocturna also called night flowering jessamine.
Result!

I've Googled images for Cestrum nocturna night flowering jessamine and that's indeed what it is.
Thanks hawkgirl :)

Back