Can You Hop Post Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitcho89

Reaction score
Hi guys, A patch of all grain I put on last week has finished off and almost ready for secondary. It doesn't quite have the lovely amarillo aroma and flavour due to my hop addition not being what it should so I'd love to see if i could add some now. Could I get a cup of hot water, stick in 25g of pellets and immitate a 0 min flame out or do I just stick the hops in a bag and into secondary for a day or so?

Sorry if I've missed a previous post on here regarding this, just thought I'd make sure what I can do before I go and over hop a nice batch of beer!

Cheers,
Mitch.

Yes.

Either method is fine.

Leave dry/french pressed hops for 3-5 days (my experience only - but you can tweak either way from there once you get an indication of what it does and how you like it.)

Get yourself a coffee plunger. Chuck some hops in there. Add some boiling water. Wait a minute. Press the plunger. Pour it in with the rest of the beer. Refill it with more boiling water. Wait another 5 mins. Press the plunger. Add the the water to the rest of the beer. Done. Big whack of late hops, reminiscent of a hop back. Then dry hop for even more aroma.

Great stuff! Thanks for the useful information. I might dry hop in secondary and taste a sample every day or so I can pin point when it's where it should be.

Cheers!

Hi guys, A patch of all grain I put on last week has finished off and almost ready for secondary. It doesn't quite have the lovely amarillo aroma and flavour due to my hop addition not being what it should so I'd love to see if i could add some now. Could I get a cup of hot water, stick in 25g of pellets and immitate a 0 min flame out or do I just stick the hops in a bag and into secondary for a day or so?

Sorry if I've missed a previous post on here regarding this, just thought I'd make sure what I can do before I go and over hop a nice batch of beer!

Cheers,
Mitch.

If I'm not mistaken fermentation can drive off some of the hop aroma you would normally get from late hop additions to the boil so adding dry hops to the fermenter post fermentation is a good way of restoring some or all of the aroma lost during fermentation.

Personally myself, I just chuck hop pellets straight into the fermenter after fermentation has finished. You could start with about 1.5 grams per litre and see if suits your tastes. I brewed an APA a few weeks back (25 litres) and added 120gms of Cascade dry hops in two 60 gram lots. One at ferment temp for 3 days and one at chilled temp for 5 days. The outcome could be interesting......

I've never tried dry hopping but I have read on this forum that if you leave dry hops in for too long you can get grassy flavour from the hops. So I take it that the French press a way to get around this issue?

My experience is that hop teas, dry hopped, "Randalised" or french pressed all produce grassy/vegetal flavours.

IMO the only way to do it is in HOT wort, not cold beer.

cheers

the_new_darren

My experience is that hop teas, dry hopped, "Randalised" or french pressed all produce grassy/vegetal flavours.

IMO the only way to do it is in HOT wort, not cold beer.

cheers

the_new_darren

I've dry hopped a number of brews and still have never come across this grassiness people speak of. Even tipping 50 grams of Cascade pellets into a 23 litre batch at fermentation temps for several days and I still haven't got it. Maybe the APA I bottled after dry hopping with 120 grams of Cascade (as explained in my post above) will give me grass, I haven't opened a bottle yet. I'm kind of hoping I get some grass flavour so then I know what other people are experiencing. If I don't get grassiness, next time I'll dry hop with 1/2 a pound of Cascade and see how it goes....!

Latest posts

Back