Can You Ferment Danstar Munich At 15/16 Degrees?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christmasbender

Reaction score
pretty much what the title says - i have a fermenting fridge and the warmest setting is about 15 or 16 degrees. would this be ok for fermenting danstar munich? thinking if i pitched at 17 and then put it in the fridge it should be ok but not sure. anyone done this before?

cheers

christmasbender

pretty much what the title says - i have a fermenting fridge and the warmest setting is about 15 or 16 degrees. would this be ok for fermenting danstar munich? thinking if i pitched at 17 and then put it in the fridge it should be ok but not sure. anyone done this before?

cheers

christmasbender

Is the Danstar Munich a wheat yeast? Munich If it is then I would have thought that 15 or 16 would be fine but a tad on the cold side to get the best out of the yeast.

Or are you talking about another yeast that is a lager yeast that would be best in the 8-14 range. If so, yes it will work at 15 or 16 but there is a possibility of increased off flavours. But I've not done it myself.

Is the Danstar Munich a wheat yeast? Munich If it is then I would have thought that 15 or 16 would be fine but a tad on the cold side to get the best out of the yeast.

Or are you talking about another yeast that is a lager yeast that would be best in the 8-14 range. If so, yes it will work at 15 or 16 but there is a possibility of increased off flavours. But I've not done it myself.

yes that's the one. just wanted to know if the the yeast would still ferment at this temp. i know other ale yeasts like us-05 are ok at this temp but not sure about this one. never used it before.

cheers

christmasbender

In August, I accidentally threw this yeast into a Swartzbier thinking it was Munich Lager yeast(because I did not read the label, obviously :rolleyes: ). It did not kick off at all at 13ish degrees for five days.
I cultured up and added a big starter of liquid munich lager yeast, and therre are no characterictically wheat aromas or flavours in my beer.

So.. I suspect it will not ferment

I did a Hefe last summer with this yeast at that temperature. Sorry, I cannot recall specifics of the ferment like lag time or duration. I do recall it finishing out fine, but with absolutely none of the typical banana or clove esters you would expect. It was basically a bubblegum bomb.

It may ferment out, but slowly, but as said it wont produce those characteristics desired for a typical hefe.

Personally i've had much better success with the Saf WB-06 ... I did a Weet-Bix Wit in a swap last year and it was well received.

thanks folks - think i may risk the cupboard with a wet towel round the fermenter (seriously need to get a tempmate or something) to get the esters needed for a good wheat beer.

cheers

christmasbender

Latest posts

Back