Can Whirlfloc go off / impart off flavours?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay have a smell at wirfloc it smells just lovely does it not , unlike hops,yeast and not sure about nutrient as i dont use it
,, I do chew hop pellets just bite a tiny bit off not the whole pellet ,
But wirfloc i dont taste anymore because i stopped using it ,
Correct me if i am wrong but isnt it made from seaweed wirfloc that is

B

Oh dear, I've accidentally religious debate...

The experiment of brewing without is already in the fermenter. But it won't be definitive and won't stop me trying whirlfloc or similar in future.
Although I will get a new pack and attempt to check the usevy date first, seems it may have a 2 year shelf life - http://homebrew.stackexchange.com/questions/6376/whirfloc-shelf-life-and-use

not sure I subscribe to the 'taste it in isolation' theory. I don't like olives by themselves, but will eat them on pizza as part of the combined taste.

DSGA seems to me to be a bit more forgiving of Sydney water than other lighter beers, not sure why.

It wont be the whirlfloc. I put a whole tab in every batch as i find it an absolute pita to cut them. Even did with a lager i recently did...no contribution to "off flavours"

As far as I know, Sydney water is quite soft but may be disinfected with chloramines. They can create medicinal and band-aid like flavours.

capt

How did your brew go without whirfloc , did it come out any different ??

B

Bjay

I cracked one over dinner tonight, and it wasn't light years better.
So that seems to rule out my original Whirlfloc line of theory.

Mash ph/calcium sulfate are next up on the list to try.

Latest posts

Back