Can U Stop Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeasty

Reaction score
Hi,

Im looking for a way to stop fermentation on a cider im looking at making soon. I would like some sweetness left in it, as i dont want a very dry cider.

Was just wondering if there was a safe way to do this? If not i'll have to make up some raspberry syrup to go with it....

Might get a weird look or two from the mates though :blink:

I've heard that sodium met/potassium met/campden tablets may do this. I'm not sure on dosage though.

Another thought might be to get it cold - if you've used an ale yeast then the yeast activity will slow to almost zero if you chill it and keep it cold. Of course it will reactivate if you warm it up.

What about freezing it for a while? That would kill most, if not all the yeast? Not sure if it would wreck the cider and may not be a good idea if its a large amount.

Easy enough if your kegging.
Just transfer it early to a keg and force carbonate.

If bottling, as goatherder said, it'll reactivate and you'll likely get bottle bombs.
I suppose you could use plastic bottles and release the lids every now and then. Bit of a pain though.
Or maybe you could filter the yeast out. A 0.5 micron filter might do the job. But then you still need some left to carbonate. Could be tricky.

Alternatively you could let it ferment out and then add an artificial sweetener (like nutrasweet). These won't ferment.

I've heard that sodium met/potassium met/campden tablets may do this. I'm not sure on dosage though.

Another thought might be to get it cold - if you've used an ale yeast then the yeast activity will slow to almost zero if you chill it and keep it cold. Of course it will reactivate if you warm it up.

Yer the Yanks use sodium met, hence why i asked for a safe method :D

I bottle too so im basically screwed i think, as it needs some yeast fer carbonation unless i get hold of a soda stream?

Why not fortify it to stop the ferment, same as in fortified wine. Add some grape brandy or Vodka if you have a still. Add it slowly using the same process af fortifying wine. Would be sweet, and would knock your head off.

What yeast will you be using ?

If it's a known yeast you may be able to work out the amount of fermentables so that the yeast has almost reached it's tolerance in alcohol, then bottle without priming. Very tricky and prone to bombs if you don't get it exactly right.

Otherwise, use some non-fermentable sweetener in the mix to give it the sweetness you require.

Bugger those artificial sweeteners, they're shite.
Simply ferment, bottle and serve with a dash of same apple juice in glass.Naturally sweetened and adds a little more body and freshness.

Ive got some Nottingham here so i thought of either using that or another ale yeast to help keep some sweetness in the cider.

Id rather try not to add anything to the glass when serving...

I mentioned also that im bottling it, so id need some yeast to help carbination. The only way i can see filtering happen is if i use a soda stream to carbinate, but then id have to do it bottle by bottle as i drink which is also a pain...

Or could i soda stream each bottle after bottling and cap? More trouble as i dont own a soda stream...

Add lactose. You can add it to taste at the end of the ferment and because it's an unfermentable sugar, it won't cause bottle bombs. It's about 1/3 as sweet as sucrose. Most people I've heard of use about 250-500g or so, but one guy I know used 1kg.

You should be able to get lactose at your LHBS.

Bugger those artificial sweeteners, they're shite.
Simply ferment, bottle and serve with a dash of same apple juice in glass.Naturally sweetened and adds a little more body and freshness.

+1 :D

I am going crazy or would this ruin the cider...

Boil it for 1 min.

That will kill all the yeast instantly - as far as I have read...

CHeers!

You wouldn't even need to boil it - get it over 40 degrees and you should kill the yeast.

I am going crazy or would this ruin the cider...

Boil it for 1 min.

That will kill all the yeast instantly - as far as I have read...

CHeers!

You could do that, but the OP is a bottler and wants some carbonation in his cider.

I'm with Mr Bond. Add some apple juice when you drink it. Then you can get it how sweet you want it, you can vary it from person to person, and you might even develop a taste for dry cider. :)

Adding apple juice when pouring is a good idea.

Another way is to add commercial lemonade for sweetness when pouring.

The best way is to start kegging. You knew you needed an excuse.

If you boil it you'll lose your alcohol too. Not sure if that's what you want... ;)

he did mention that he is BOTTLING it and needs yeast for carb purposes (or an alternative to natural carbonation, which with out a keg is a real PITA!)

i was gonna suggest this
you could let it ferment out and then add an artificial sweetener (like nutrasweet). These won't ferment.

but now you guys mentioned it, serving with some apple juice is an excellent idea. +2 :)

Add lactose.

As far as homebrewing is concerned im lactose intolerant. MEaning ill never add it to my HB.

Looks like im gunna have to stick to making a raspberry syrup to go with it....

Latest posts

Back