Can U Stop Fermentation?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something that no one has suggested yet
Let it ferment out dry, and then add some apple juice, and then bottle. Bottle say a dozen stubbies (or a few PET bottles that will expand as they carbonate) while you are at it, and let it go. Open one per day after say 2 days, and when it has reached the desired carbonation level, add all the bottles into a hot water bath, pure hot water from the tap is about +/- 60C, so will get hot enough to kill the yeast. If you are worried about bottle bombs going this way, then bottle it all in either 2L coke bottles, or coopers PET bottles. When they feel hard, open one, if it is the right carbonation, once again, stick it in a hot water bath. SHOULD do the trick, but dont sue me if I got it wrong :eek:
All the best
Trent

just mash you apples a bit hotter to retain some non-firmentanbles and sweetness.

:p :ph34r:

Or brew it with a lower attenuating yeast.

Looks like im gunna have to stick to making a raspberry syrup to go with it....

So you don't fancy the apple juice at serving idea then,at least it will be more ciderish than raspberry,although raspberry cider does sound tasty.

if you add some pear juice when mixing it up it wont ferment out 100% dry and retain some sweetness, i do the same with my cysers

As somebody already mentioned, I have used lactose before to sweeten cider, and successfully bottle conditioned it afterwards.

Grain and Grape in stock it.

Something that no one has suggested yet
Let it ferment out dry, and then add some apple juice, and then bottle. Bottle say a dozen stubbies (or a few PET bottles that will expand as they carbonate) while you are at it, and let it go. Open one per day after say 2 days, and when it has reached the desired carbonation level, add all the bottles into a hot water bath, pure hot water from the tap is about +/- 60C, so will get hot enough to kill the yeast. If you are worried about bottle bombs going this way, then bottle it all in either 2L coke bottles, or coopers PET bottles. When they feel hard, open one, if it is the right carbonation, once again, stick it in a hot water bath. SHOULD do the trick, but dont sue me if I got it wrong :eek:
All the best
Trent
I agree with what Trent says, this is basically bottle pasteurization. However once the bottles have cooled down store the bottles at under 4C. This will stop any yeast that could be left from fermenting any residual sugars further.

im not sure whether i would go that way.. i am under the impression that increasing temperature has an exponential effect on carbonation pressure rather than a linear one. if your bottles have reached a normal level of carbonation putting them in 60 degree water would make them very close to exploding i would have thought.. hence grand dads exploding bottles in the shed on a hot day.

i would advise caution and plastic bottles if you use this method.. :)

Latest posts

Back