Can this Smurto be saved

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meathead

Reaction score
Just kegged a batch of DSGA and carbed it up and it tastes fairly ordinary
First time ive made this recipe
The only mistake i can think of is that i may not have cracked the grain well enough (rollin pin in large sandwich bag)
It didnt taste too good out of the fermenter either
Will it get better with a bit of time or is it destined for the front lawn?

What was your gravity reading before and after fermenting?
When you say it tastes ordinary, what sort of flavours are you picking up?

Stale and sour don't seem all that close to me at all. Can you be a little more descriptive? Compare it to something similar, maybe?

Any chance it is just green?

Hop tea or dry hopping might help but I'd put it aside to see how that "sourness" developed before I maybe wasted good hops on it.

Good luck with it.

Any experienced brewers in your area/where are you? Someone who has been playing with brewing for a while should be able to let you know if it is infected or not, and if it's worth throwing more hops/malts at it to fix it up. As bun said, stale and sour are very different.

I find that I don't really like the taste of Amarillo until it has been sitting in the keg for a few weeks. I also prefer this beer with some cascade or centennial dry hopped.

I would leave it a couple of weeks before tipping it out or wasting any more hops in it.

Have you made beers with wheat before? Personally I find the taste of wheat very "tart", or "bitter". Actually drinking a DSGA clone myself at the moment and every sip my brain is like "Fuckin' wheat malt man".

Dunno if I'll use it again.

slash22000 said:
Have you made beers with wheat before? Personally I find the taste of wheat very "tart", or "bitter". Actually drinking a DSGA clone myself at the moment and every sip my brain is like "Fuckin' wheat malt man".

Dunno if I'll use it again.
I've only been reading AHB since 2008 and don't see all comments but yours is a first for me. ie. wheat malt "tart" and/or "bitter". I assume it is just your taste buds, and fair enough. Drink/brew what you like to drink. But no wits, hefes, etc

Having lived in the NT for over twenty years I learned to stay away from grains grown behind the Bark Hut's dunny, any of the 'glowing' fields around the general Jabiru area (uranium mining) and any properties with Country Liberal silent partners.

Re Bums reply it tastes like the last bit of a VB that has been sittin for a while, so not good

I'll leave this for a couple of weeks and if still not right will take to Dave at Greensborough home brew to get his thoughts
Thanks for all the input

Hey man, I think I had a similar experience when I tried DSGA, it was a bitter and had a very strong taste that I didn't like about it. However, after a few weeks in the bottle (think I left it for a month) it was awesome. The boys are still raving about it and I've got the last of it tucked away to see how it'll taste in a few months.

So give it time and it should mellow out a bit.

I find that commercial bottles of James Squire Golden Ale have that overwhelming wheat malt flavour as well, it almost tastes vaguely "meaty" to me, kind of like ham/bacon. I know I'm not the only person on Earth who thinks this, my brother once described a wheat beer he tried at the Wheatsheaf Hotel in Adelaide as tasting like "pea and ham soup" and I'll be damned if it didn't.

Maybe it's a genetic defect. :D

A week on and its fully carbed and starting to taste like beer
The "edge" it had seems to have disipated
Looking to give it another week

Ten days in and WOW has this beer changed
It never ceases to amaze me how much there is to learn about this great hobby. Both on forums like this and thru experience

Back