Can The Yeast In Coopers Stubbies Be Used For Fermenting Home Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try to keep the fermentation temp down below 20c. Above that you start getting some pronounced fruitiness.

+1

Brewed 2 ales within a week of each other in July using CPA yeast. The first fermented at 20C and was banana dominated. The other fermented at 17C and was subtly bready and malty. I drank the 2nd one in a couple of months and still have at least 12 largies of the fruit salad. It's mellowed somewhat and is drinkable but I won't give it to mates to try.

:icon_cheers:

Also I expect it's low flocculating as the Adeladians like to have their bottle rolled at the bar ...

Actually, I find that the yeast I harvest from CPA/CSA flocculates really well, which I find puzzling.

Actually, I find that the yeast I harvest from CPA/CSA flocculates really well, which I find puzzling.

I don't think it's that strange. The yeast in a commercial bottle sticks to the bottom pretty well. As long as the bottle has been kept upright for a while you can easily pour off a clear beer.

I think you'll find that this is because Coopers put a fresh dosage of yeast in before bottling hence more yeast makes it into the bottle.

Hmm when I get my AG setup running smoothly I'm tempted to come over to the darkside and give it a try. :ph34r: I must admit that the Jennings ale yeast I got in the UK turned out to be a superb brewing yeast, and my Dad and I kept it going for years.

Tried it once and got banana. Didnt even finish the keg. I did brew it at too high temps so am going to try again and start it at 18 and try to keep it there.
Damn , i really need a fridge

Damn , i really need a fridge

A dead fridge with a couple of frozen 2L PET bottles should keep your brew at ale temperatures. A number of posters have sworn by it. I got the stepdaughter's garage fridge off her a few days ago (she switched it on for its annual Christmas tour of duty and it was dead as), currently cleaning it up and will do a trial run and report. I'll start a new thread in the 'gear' section if I have anything useful to report.

A dead fridge with a couple of frozen 2L PET bottles should keep your brew at ale temperatures. A number of posters have sworn by it. I got the stepdaughter's garage fridge off her a few days ago (she switched it on for its annual Christmas tour of duty and it was dead as), currently cleaning it up and will do a trial run and report. I'll start a new thread in the 'gear' section if I have anything useful to report.

Even better is a clapped-out old chest freezer. Much more efficient, as the cold air doesn't escape every time it's opened. Only drawback...lifting full fermenters in and out!

Hi all. I'm new to brewing and this forum, and I noticed this question as one I've been pondering myself. Having read through the responses, I've arrived to a new related question. What would be the cons of just tipping the dregs from two coopers stubbies or indeed two whole stubbies into a newly prepared wort? I understand fermentation wouldn't begin straight away because the yeast needs to reactivate, but wouldn't that just add a couple of days to brewing time?

ok, well i guess the main point would be that you wouldnt have sufficient yeast numbers to start your fermentation quickly enough and therefore a good chance of infection, also why waste 2 good stubbys of coopers pale ale when you can drink them and save the yeast on the bottom to make a descent starter, not sure also if that would ferment out your 21 litres of wort properly. there are some good articles here on AHB that will show you how to reculture coopers yeast, i do it and i only use one stubby and build it up to a litre starter over about 4 days. use the search icon and you will find a few ideas for yeast reculture

cheers
fergi

Fair point, I suppose I was just looking for a short cut. I've already had a look at the article posted earlier in this thread. By the sounds of things, reculturing coopers yeast is a worthwhile venture. Something I'll be trying with one of my next brews. So long as things are kept clean, it doesn't sound too hard, really.

I have been fermenting the CPA yeast, it will be four days tomorrow, if it smells good and taste good i will pitch it tomorrow night. Now i was going to do a basic CPA can with the brew enhancer 2 from coopers, but im tempted to grab some hops or something on the way home tomorrow. Any suggestions or should i keep it simple for my second brew. bought a fridgemate during the week and have the stand up freezer set at 18 degrees in preparation. ha ha ha cant wait!

That sounds good too Bribie. I'll go check out our local transfer station (rubbish dump) tommorow. Those guys have a shed full of old stuff they have scrounged from the people who pay money to dump their rubbish. :icon_offtopic:

That sounds good too Bribie. I'll go check out our local transfer station (rubbish dump) tommorow. Those guys have a shed full of old stuff they have scrounged from the people who pay money to dump their rubbish. :icon_offtopic:

Another avenue might be to try your local electrical stores like Betta Electrical or Retravision who often have a deal 'buy a new fridge and we will take away your dead fridge no charge'.

I've been in touch with guys on the forum about how they are going with their fridges and got a response today:

28* ambient here at the mo, 12* in my dead fridge.
One 4l, three 2l. bottles. {both outside side walls of fridge insulated with styrofoam and acoustic tile material}
cheers

Floats my boat :lol:

I have been fermenting the CPA yeast, it will be four days tomorrow, if it smells good and taste good i will pitch it tomorrow night. Now i was going to do a basic CPA can with the brew enhancer 2 from coopers, but im tempted to grab some hops or something on the way home tomorrow. Any suggestions or should i keep it simple for my second brew. bought a fridgemate during the week and have the stand up freezer set at 18 degrees in preparation. ha ha ha cant wait!

If you check other threads on this brew, seems like pride of ringwood is the hop of choice. Boil 15g for 20mins. I'll be doing
1.7kg coopers pale ale goo
1kg BE#2
200g LDME
15g PoR
Recultured yeast

I did a brew with this recently and am currently drinking the sweet rewards!!!

1 x Coopers PA tin 1.7kg
1 x Coopers light malt tin 1.5kg
1 x teabag of Cascade boiled in 1 ltr of water for 10 mins and added to fermenter (teabag and water)
Yeast from 2 stubbies of CPA

Very nice drinking at the moment, big burst of flavour from the Cascade.

Thanks for the ideas Supra-Jim and cdbrown. i didnt make it to the LHBS and decided to pitch the yeast(which tasted really nice) without any extras. i figure if i wait till i go to the shop next, i could almost be done with another batch. the question now is what next!

Even better is a clapped-out old chest freezer. Much more efficient, as the cold air doesn't escape every time it's opened. Only drawback...lifting full fermenters in and out!
Yeah, but it builds your muscles so you can hoist those massive Oktoberfest steins! :D

Prost! - Fermented.

Thanks for the ideas Supra-Jim and cdbrown. i didnt make it to the LHBS and decided to pitch the yeast(which tasted really nice) without any extras. i figure if i wait till i go to the shop next, i could almost be done with another batch. the question now is what next!

The good thing is - when it's finished, save the yeast cake for another pale ale brew! The next one can have the hops, then compare the two to see what differences come through at the end.

Back