Can The Yeast In Coopers Stubbies Be Used For Fermenting Home Brew?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can use the yeast in the coopers bottles, you'll need the dregs of about 3 or 4 stubbies, you'll need to make a starter to build up all those good yesties. I think CPA uses POR hops so if you're after something quite close to it you'll need to use them too

Awesome thats one of my favourite beers im so gonna try it !!

Aaron

I've made a 1L starter from this yeast the other day. 100gm LDME in 1L water, added the dregs of 3 stubbies. It took about 2 days to fire up but it sure did fire. If using PET's make sure to check often and release the pressure, my bottle became severely deformed as I didn't think it had started and didn't check it for about 24hours. Hopefully it'll still taste ok when I put the new brew down tomorrow or sat.

I had a spare air lock and oring to i ended up modifying the lid of my starter bottle. No deformation.

I've made a 1L starter from this yeast the other day. 100gm LDME in 1L water, added the dregs of 3 stubbies. It took about 2 days to fire up but it sure did fire. If using PET's make sure to check often and release the pressure, my bottle became severely deformed as I didn't think it had started and didn't check it for about 24hours. Hopefully it'll still taste ok when I put the new brew down tomorrow or sat.

some oztops might help out
http://www.oztops.com.au/

I've done my first attempt at cultivating the Coopers yeast and building it up. In fermenter now and looking and smelling okay. In his "How To Brew " book John Palmer rates this yeast as a favourite so I'm looking forward to the results. For the record, I used it on a wort of a can of Thomas Cooper unmalted pale ale extract, 1kg DME, 250g cane sugar and hopped with POR to 25IBU. (with some carapils thrown in). My first extract (and last) after 18 months of AG. Unless the results speak for themselves :icon_cheers:

I'm looking for something that tastes BETTER than the original ! That's what you should aspire to, young Lemonaed !

Hi fatgodzilla.

I know a year has passed since I first made this post, but I'm curious, how did that extract batch of Pale Ale mentioned above turn out? Was it pretty good considering it was an extract?

Cheers,

lemonaed

Latest posts

Back