Can Kit Shelf Life?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chookers

Reaction score
I had a kit which I only used half of (for experimenting) the other half I put in an empty honey bucket, and forgot about.. I just want to know if it will still be good to use/experiment with.. I know they don't last indefinitely in their cans.. as I have had can kits corrode on me before I got round to using them, but this has been in the honey bucket since I opened it.

How will I know if its bad, will it smell off.. look odd?

Anyone been here?

what's half a kit worth - $6??? what's a bad batch worth after accounting for labour, other bits (eg sanitizers and caps) and expected outcomes??
if you forgot about it, what's the use by date?. all sounds like something to heat up with warm water then tip into the flower bed.
if you like to use half a kit for experimenting, then maybe use the other half as a testing theory against the first half, at the same time and conditions.
me no expert, but none of what you're saying sounds like a good place to go if you consider the effort to make a brew.. i'd get a fresh kit that i know i'll enjoy.

Yeh, I thought as much.. money isn't the issue.. its just there and I hate waste.. I was only gonna try a ginger beer with it anyway.. but I'll bin it.

you could try turning it into a marinade or similar that you can throw over bangers or prawns on the bbq. we use the last half bottle of brew that you can't bottle for that.
i'd taste test it on one prawn or banger before getting too excited though.

Back