Can I Use This Cube?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odydoesbrew

Reaction score
Hi there,

Firstly, this is my first post, so hi to all, love the forums.

Today I found a 20lt cube by the road that had held hydroulic oil. Would this be able to be cleaned up and used for racking?

Appreciate any advice.

Ody

ummmm well i know i wouldnt use it , its probably not food grade plastic in any case , and have you ever tasted hydraulic oil? you dont want that in your beers...

Hi there,

Firstly, this is my first post, so hi to all, love the forums.

Today I found a 20lt cube by the road that had held hydroulic oil. Would this be able to be cleaned up and used for racking?

Appreciate any advice.

Ody

You can't be serious, it's a joke right? NO NO and NO. :huh:

Just go to the local camping store, super cheap auto, bunnings, big w, hbs and buy a new and healthy one.

Would you really want hydraulic oil in your beer???

Casts a whole new light on beer being "neck oil" ?? :wacko:

Warren -

Thanks for the answers, I thought that would be the case, but it was hard to walk past.

Certainly the point of my post was to ascertain if the oil could be fully expunged from the cube, so it was in fact just like a brand new one. Easier to got a new, food grade one I know, 'cause this one probably isn't.

Cheers.

ahhh i see you suffer from the home brewers addiction to hard rubbish collections too.

On the same note, I am the only one who spots an empty bottle on the side of the road and wonders, "Is that a crown sealed bottle??"

On the same note, I am the only one who spots an empty bottle on the side of the road and wonders, "Is that a crown sealed bottle??"

I used to think that....but then went to kegs. Doubt you very often walk down the road and see a keg on the side of the road and think "is that a pinlock or ball-lock" :p

NO. Go to Bunnings and spend $15.

doesn't everyone love the collection :D .

I sure do.. People look at me with the "here he goes again look" when I show them my bottles that are stamped 1952 on the base and followed by the words - "they just don't make 'em like this anymore"

And NOOO.. Put the oil container down.. Walk away...

Seriously,

Go to your local HBS and get a couple of empty Fresh Wort Kit cubes. They are only $2 each.

BOG

The fresh wort cubes are typically 15 litre cubes.

My dad brews a lot of the St Peters fresh worts, so i've ended up with a lot of these cubes.

Look i had the same dilemma, i have 2 cubes under the house from when i moved in, apparently held shampoo or something, could i use them for racking? probably.
For under $20 i went to Bunnings and got a food grade fermenter (that seals really badly btw). When you buy one from Bunnings check that the threads are even across the top because its moulded from 2 pieces. Anyhow why would you poison yourself over $16. There were 2 guys in the North who died after brewing in a 44gal drum a while back.

Beginning to think a racking fermenter may not need an airlock as well, most of the work is done, mine bubbled twice and shut up.

here in Adelaide we get 10c back for bottles so in the car or bag and goes to the collection. The most ive got back for cans and bottles is $175

Latest posts

Back