Can I Use Cascade Hops In A Tripel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ester Trub

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was planning on brewing a Belgian Tripel tomorrow, but all I have in the way of hops is some EKG and some cascade hops.
A mate told me that if I only used the cascade for bittering, by putting it in at the beginning of the boil, instead of say Saaz, it'll be ok.

Any thoughts? Is it worth a try? Will my Tripel still taste like a tripel, or should I just go to the HBS and buy some sort of noble?

I would use the goldings before the cascade

Kabooby :)

Cascade is a bit of a punch in the face of aroma and flavour, and the bitterness can often be harsh
I'd say you'd be taking the smoothness out of a Tripel by using them at any stage.
Just a personal preference, but American hops are generally a bit rough for delicate Belgian styles that rely alot on yeast for their delicious complexities.

I would use the EKG. Cascade would still be noticeable IMHO.

I was going to use the goldings anyway, at the end of the boil.
Should I use them for the bittering as well?
I think I might have enough for that....

How bitter do you want to make your tripel? I think you'd be unlikely to notice cascade as the bittering hop

How bitter do you want to make your tripel? I think you'd be unlikely to notice cascade as the bittering hop

Only about 25-30 IBU
A few people have said it shouldn't be a problem now.
I think I'm just going to try it.
I figure even if some of the flavour does come through, it's not exactly going to ruin the beer altogether.

+1
I would like to see anyone blind taste 25IBU hops after a 60 minute boil and tell me what they were

American Trippel IPA sounds exciting to me as well tho...
:D

Latest posts

Back