Can I Use A Wooden Dough Roller To Split My Grain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pop_shots

Reaction score
can I use a wooden dough roller to split my grain?

there was no grain splitting device at the shop I visited today. thanks in advance.

-Patrick

Hey Popshot
You can use a rolling pin but it won't work very well. A better choice (quicker) is a food processor. Half fill it and turn the whole thing on its side and pulse it for a few seconds until the grain is cracked. Try not to turn the whole lot to flour. Word of warning though, don't use the missess' food processor as the grain will scratch it. Best bet is to grab a cheap one from your local Vinnies

cheers
Darren
is
pop_shots said:
can I use a wooden dough roller to split my grain?

there was no grain splitting device at the shop I visited today. thanks in advance.

-Patrick
[post="105264"][/post]​

Have never used the rolling pin method, I suspect the grains will fly everywhere. I do remember reading somewhere to put the grain in a plastic bag, then use the rolling pin.

Probably only really suitable for small amounts, around 200 gms. Give it a try.

I used to use a rolling pin for my first couple of partials. Plastic bags are bad because they have a habit of bursting and sending grain everywhere. I used a piece of calico, twist the grain into a ball, then start whacking.

It's not the best way of crushing grain, but it works (sort of)

Sounds therapeutic.

pop_shots

yes you can using a rolling pin but it is very slow and painful. OK if you only have a very small amount of specialty grain but as Barfridge says don't use plastic bags, they split and grain goes everywhere.
This is the way I did my first few brews with specialty grains and it will work, but if you have a fair amount of grain to crack then best to find something designed for grain.

Hoops

thanks for the replies.. i have to crack 4 lbs of grain with a rolling pin before i start my brew tommarrow :-(

and i do have a good food processor that we never ever use, maybe ill resort to that

Popshots where are you located then someone may be able to direct you to a brew shop that crushes the grain for you ?

pumpy

Grain in plastic bag + piece scrap timber + 2 lb ball pein hammer (be gentle) = cracked grain
Did the job for me until my mill arrived. :)

:beer:

TidalPete said:
Grain in plastic bag + piece scrap timber + 2 lb ball pein hammer (be gentle) = cracked grain
Did the job for me until my mill arrived. :)

[post="105357"][/post]​

Still putting my mill together, so might have a little job for you on Thursday then Pete... ;)

Ross said:
TidalPete said:
Did the job for me until my mill arrived.

[post="105357"][/post]​

Still putting my mill together, so might have a little job for you on Thursday then Pete...
[post="105359"][/post]​

I'll bring my hammer Ross. :p

ahhhhhhhh the memories

I remember my first partial, a weak as piss check pils.

I planed to use 1 kg of JW pils malt

I put it in a freezer bag and took to it with a rolling pin on a chopping bnoard.

no damage to the grain but the bag was shreaded

i put it in a tea towl and tried again...........

i then took the tea towl fill of malt out side and proceeded to bash it with a brick

I ended up with powder and whole grains.

so i bought a little marga mill and it did for a while

as said above.......... get a mill, they mat seem expensive but they are a great investment.

I built one with a mootr that eats 10 KG of grain in under 2 min :)

i'm doing it with a roller on my porcelain bathroom counter, isn't really working too bad. i can see the grains are getting crushed fine, but not too fine, and retaining the husk for a proper grainbed for my mash.

i couldnt see doing more than 4-5 lbs this way, though. can only do about a half lb at a time. rollin em on newspaper. got 1 lb to go

I can remember doing a few partials several years ago and cracking the grain in a mortar and pestle. :blink:

:excl: Not recommended lest you want blisters on your palms. Was a good enough way to crush half a kilo of specialty malt though. :lol:

Warren -

Latest posts

Back