Can I split my wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penrithbeerclub

Reaction score
After I mix up my wort, is it ok to split it between 2 FV?

Basically, I wanna make a brew in 2 styles to compare it. 10Liters in one and 10 Liters in Another. Just to experiment with additives, second fermentation, yeasts etc, but keep the costs down.

Has anyone done this and how did you do it and did it work out?

Yes. Common way of doing side by sides to allow you compare yeasts/dry hopping etc. Go ahead...

So do I just ensure everything is mixed up and disolved in the wort in a single container and then evenly split between FV's?

Go for it, many do it.

The more you handle your wort, the the opportunity for infection is increased. I'm sure you're always thorough with you sanitisation, but when transferring between FVs you need to be careful.

If you're doing smaller batches, have a look at the thread on fermenting in a cube. I think that Manticle started it. Cubes are typically smaller than typical barrel shaped FVs, so if you're fermenting in a temp controlled fridge, you may be able to fit more than one i.

20-25 lt cube from Bunnings

images (4).jpg

This was my first experiment with brewing. I split a Cascade Mahogany Porter into two fermentors, I used the kit yeast in one fermentor and Windsor yeast in another. The Windsor knocked the kit yeast for a six. The kit yeast version ended up being drunk after all the Windsor was gone because of the contrast between the two was a monster.

I find experimenting to be one of my favourite things in brewing, seeing what happens when you change one thing and what effect it has on the outcome. Then when its all done you have to sit down and do side by side tests and drink some beer.

if you're doing 'standard' 20-23ish litre brews, you might be interested to know you can buy cheap 10 litre water cube things (they come with natural spring water) from coles or aldi (about $6) and they work really well for splitting batches.

penrithbeerclub said:
Do you man this?

https://www.colesonline.com.au/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResultsView?langId=-1&storeId=23551&catalogId=23051&beginIndex=0&searchTermScope=4&searchTerm=water%2010l

do I just put the airlock in the lid and sprinkle the yeast through the lid too? But it wont evenly cover the surface?
dunno about the containers but dont worry about covering the surface.i am guessing this is about the yeast addition. once the yeast is added it will do its own thing. ..cheers..spog...

Don't worry about the air lock. Just cover the opening in the fermentation vessel with some glad wrap and hold it on with a rubber band.

Sounds like bullshit I know, but many brewers, including me, have done away with the lids of their FVs and use glad wrap held on by the rubber seal that was once inside the plastic lid (sanitised, of course). Much easier, better to see inside.

penrithbeerclub said:
Fletcher thanks mate! thats a good idea.
keep in mind mate, that i only use these for no-chilling.

so i keep 10L of a 20L batch in one, and the other 10L in the other. when i pitch, i pour either both into my fermenter for a full brew of the same yeast/dry hopping, or i split them and maybe do one first, and leave the other one in the fridge for later or when i have the ingredients on hand. i hope that makes sense! i don't use the coles 10L cubes for fermenting.

PM me if this doesn't make sense and i'll let you know exactly what i mean.

Back