Can I Save My Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
160g in then beer on top should have been ok, perhaps it did not mix in enough.
I use to swirl the fermenter creating a wirlpool as the beer was going in to ensure the bulk prime dextrose mixes in.

Yes you can save your beer or some of it, if it is not infected.
But it would be a mission, so you have to decide if it's worth your time and the risk of playing with bottle bombs.

If you want to try I would do it this way.
Determine if the beer is infected by tasting one of the gushers.
Put on some safety gear including gloves then open all the bottles carefully in/over a sterilised container.
Aim is to collect all the beer, even the gushers.
This would be dangerous as you have to expect that others are ready to explode.
Put all the beer back into a sterilised fermenter.
Add 100 grams of malt or sugar this will ensure that the yeast is going so it will make enough C02 to purge the air from your fermenter.
Take a reading with your hydrometer then let it finish fermenting before re bottling.

When you bulk prime make sure the 160 g is mixed into the 21 litres of beer well.
It sounded like you did that the first time, so I am not sure what happened there.

Could have been an infection as noted by others.
In that case all you can do is water the garden really.
Best regards.

How much priming sugar did you actually use, bb?

More water than I'd use myself but everything looks fine in the priming - so long as you reckon you got a pretty good mix (and in 500ml of water and racking onto it I'd imagine you did). FG looks too low to be causing bottle bombs this quickly (not entirely outside of the realms of possibility but it does seem less than likely to me, I've bottled higher if that counts for anything). Are we back at looking at infections? Can you detail your entire bottle washing process?

Oh, so it was an AG recipe? I wouldn't consider 1012 high either, but what was mash temp?

More water than I'd use myself but everything looks fine in the priming - so long as you reckon you got a pretty good mix (and in 500ml of water and racking onto it I'd imagine you did). FG looks too low to be causing bottle bombs this quickly (not entirely outside of the realms of possibility but it does seem less than likely to me, I've bottled higher if that counts for anything). Are we back at looking at infections? Can you detail your entire bottle washing process?
Basically once drank give them a good rinse, let dry then when ready to bottle i use a no rinse sanitizer using the bottle tree, give each bottle about 3 squirts let drain then bottle

I wouldn't rule out infection in the bottle, but if some were gushers/bombs, and others were dead flat, I'd be almost 100% sure the priming mixture wasn't evenly disributed. Which is odd because your method is sound, and it's how most people do it.

After my bad experience of bulk priming(opened another bottle tonight, it was flat) just wondering if you could use sugar cubes, or is it best to stick to the sugar measurer?

Latest posts

Back