Can I Re-aerate?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent

Reaction score
Gday guys
Just put down a double batch of APA, OG 1.054. I had a wyeast smackpack that I stepped up 4 times, so there was plenty of yeast in there to do the job, my main concern was I didnt aerate enough. It was 28C when it went into the fermenter, and I let it cool down a few degrees before I aerated it with my well sanitised electric whick. This will usually do the job great for a 23L batch, but for the 46L, it only seemed to aerate the top half, so I pitched the yeast anyway, and 6 hours later, gave it another few minutes with the electric whisk. There was no airlock activity at 12 hours, but at 18 hours I discovered the seal wasnt working, so I took the lid off for a quick peek, and there was a solid krauesen, by 24 hours it was 4" thick, so I figured I had better not aerate any more, oxidation chances, etc. Checked the SG and it was 1046, so all was OK. Just re-checked SG (48 hrs), and it is only 1040. There is still plenty of krauesen, but I am used to having my gravities drop by half to 2/3 in the first 2-3 days, so I am worried the poor little yeasties are starving for oxygen. Should I re-aerate, or try and pitch some dry 56 and get the grav down that way? Thye yeast was pitched at about 26C and it has been held at 20C since then. I really dont wanna lose this batch, so any info will bew much appreciated.
All the best
Trent

Maaate - stop bloody whisking it! Leave it to do its thing. She'll be fine. If you've a nice krausen it sounds as if its going perfectly well. Take another reading on day 7 and you'll probably wonder what you were panicking about. Relax :beer:
Cheers
Steve

Yeast needs oxygen to bud or multiply not for alcohol and Co2 production. IMHO if you pitch a large enough population/colony there is little benefit in oxygenating. Seals are aften the problem when no airlock activity is visible. My brews in secondary hardly ever show evidence of Co2 production but can drop as much as a further 10 SG units in 7 days.

Yeah
I should probably just learn to be patient! I know that if your beer ferments out quickly (at the right temp) it will taste alot better than one that has struggled to finish. I guess I am just being a little hasty. If it hasnt dropped to a reasonalble level after 7 days, then I will start to panic :). The main reason I was worried was that stepping up from a couple of litre starter into a 46L full strength batch needs plenty of oxygen to get the yeast ready and fighting fit, so I know it doesnt need it for alcohol, I just wanna be sure there are enough yeasties in there to do the job well. Been a long time since I have used 1056, so maybe it just isnt as quick as other strains.
All the best
Trent

I rarely have beers that take less than 14 days it ferment out... RDWHAHB

Trent, you're lucky you stopped aeration when you did. Under normal homebrewing conditions, you should aerate after cooling the wort. Apparently you can even aerate up to about 18 hours after pitching. So you probably haven't harmed your beer.
However, if you aerate after there is significant alcohol in your beer, you will ruin it.

If there is any problem with your fermentation, then aeration will NOT solve it. Perhaps pitching fresh (aerated) yeast will, because all the yeast will have absorbed the oxygen in the starter.

As others have said, just relllaaaaaaaaaxxxxxxxx. :)

Berp.

Latest posts

Back