Can extract be Craft Beer ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can extract beer be classed as Craft Beer ?? Reason why??

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Never

• Maybe

• Total voters
How long a timeline are we looking at to define "traditional"?

I'd argue that, if we were to be serious about the term, almost no one is brewing "traditionally" - definitely no one here. This point has already been raised/intimated several times in this thread.

bum said:
How long a timeline are we looking at to define "traditional"?

I'd argue that, if we were to be serious about the term, almost no one is brewing "traditionally" - definitely no one here. This point has already been raised/intimated several times in this thread.
Traditionally at the beginning of the century canned hopped malt extract wasn't used to brew ?
And your suggestion would be ?

It would be in the text of my post above.

Unfortunately the definition of craft brewing/micro-brewing/blah blah brewing is going to become a matter of taxation as the craft/micro brewing scene develops here, which is going to have a knock-on effect on how much we pay and how easy it is for small professional brewers to stay in the market. But really that's another thread.

Mea culpa.

manticle said:
Why isn't is art? Why is the term 'art' synonymous with 'quality' or 'worthwhile' in so many people's minds?

There is such a thing as bad art Warra. A chair can be well made or badly made - it's still a chair. Art is no different.

It comes down to definition of terms. Define art and define craft (in relation to beer anyway).
It would depend on the definition of "craft" being portrayed by the beer brewing community to mean a specific thing.

For instance, if a master craftsman crafts a fine table that is perfect or beautiful when perceived by himself, or others.
(Craftsmanship)

The same table can be crafted by others of course, but it may be a piece of shit, and instead of using fine timber the "craftsman" uses old cardboard boxes and paints the table with old sump oil.
Its still a table, and it was crafted, but is it still considered craftsmanship? Or shit.

From Wikipedia... not that it is the definitive answer but still.

Craft brewer is a term coined by the American Brewers Association; it gives a definition of "small, independent and traditional": small defined as an "annual production of 6 million barrels of beer or less", independent defined as at least 75% owned or controlled by a craft brewer, and traditional defined as at least 50% of its volume being all malt beer.[23] The Brewers Association further groups craft brewers as microbrewery: annual production less than 15,000 US beer barrels (1,800,000 L); brewpub: sells 25% or more of its beer on site; regional craft brewery: at least 50% of its volume is all malt beers.[4] Craft brewing expanded greatly in the United States in 1979 during the Jimmy Carter administration when the brewing of beer became deregulated.[24]

Also, I liken extract brewing to making a cup of instant coffee. You can make it as strong or weak as you like, you can choose the type of flavour you want to use. You can add, milk, or sugar, or caramel, or spice. But in the end. You never made the coffee ( Got the beans, roasted them, ground them ect.)

So in reality your just making a glorified cup of instant coffee.

Gryphon Brewing said:
You obviously didnt read my first few posts, nothing about divisions or feeling superior.

Nev
Wasn't accusing you Nev, and I can see your original post was genuine ... but you can see what track it went down

Let me throw a spanner in the works....
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CRAFT BEER......

All beer no matter where made or by whom, using whatever method or ingredients you chose has been 'crafted' into a final product that is presented to the public.
Budweiser is 'craft' beer, TED is 'craft' beer.....
The term craft came about as a way of indicating that someone had put some 'effort, thought and passion' into creating a superior product, the reality is that Tooheys and co, were passionate at the outset, Castlemaine crafted fine beers with a difference for the Australian public, just as Little Creatures or Feral or Mountain Goat....etc do now.
They all make beer that generally fits into a style that has been around for ages.
You may be a small brewery who makes beer by hand or you may be a mega brewer who brews shitloads everyday....thing in common...they both make BEER......
Its about time the wankers got their hands off their collective knobs and called it for what it is.

Yep, I reckon words are stupid too.

yum beer said:
Let me throw a spanner in the works....
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS CRAFT BEER......

All beer no matter where made or by whom, using whatever method or ingredients you chose has been 'crafted' into a final product that is presented to the public.
Budweiser is 'craft' beer, TED is 'craft' beer.....
The term craft came about as a way of indicating that someone had put some 'effort, thought and passion' into creating a superior product, the reality is that Tooheys and co, were passionate at the outset, Castlemaine crafted fine beers with a difference for the Australian public, just as Little Creatures or Feral or Mountain Goat....etc do now.
They all make beer that generally fits into a style that has been around for ages.
You may be a small brewery who makes beer by hand or you may be a mega brewer who brews shitloads everyday....thing in common...they both make BEER......
Its about time the wankers got their hands off their collective knobs and called it for what it is.
If you like to share your BEER credentials with Tooheys and the like go ahead, I think my beer is better than that, thats why I call it Gryphon goodness "crafted" by Nev. -_-
Pioneering Gryphon Goodness, off to slam one down, made from beer :super: as nature intended.
Nev

Latest posts

Back