Camlock question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooterism

Reaction score
Will a type A camlock be able to close down a compression fitting?

I can make it happen will a ball valve, just wondering if a camlock can do the same.

Not quite sure what you are asking. What are you trying to achieve?

I guess it would work if you could get matching thread sizes.

What are you attaching the fittings to?

scooterism said:
Ok, Take one of these fellas; https://www.masters.com.au/product/900008336/brasshards-male-reducing-compression-union-brass-15cx20mi

And instead of using the supplied nut to tighten down the olive, I'm wondering if you can screw a camlock on instead?

Or in other words; replace nut with camlock..
Doubtful since the thread on the cam lock is likely to be tapered and the other thread would be straight. You should be able to get a camlock with the required thread or a threaded adapter to suit.

Pokey said:
Doubtful since the thread on the cam lock is likely to be tapered and the other thread would be straight.
Depends if its a BSP or NPT thread on the camlocks.

I reckon the best option for brewing hardware/plumbing fittings is to match like to like. Less chance of leaking and wasting money on things that don't fit together.

There are lots of places that sell camlocks pretty cheaply, and a set of stainless camlocks is much nicer, seals better and adds an all important bling factor to your brewery.

JD

Works perfectly if you use a 1/2" BSP nut onto a male camlock. I've done this a few times to make a keg cleaner and with a piece of copper for filling no-chill cubes.

eg, the same nut and olive combo you use for your kettle pick-up tube.

Ok, sorry for the delay, doing the family thing, bath and feed the kids and the little fella is cutting teeth and it looks like he's about to honk up everwhere. Happy days ca150e85-d118-40dd-b8d2-6414f8c68db3_zpsu2welsdd.JPG

Also just a got a fancy new PC and trying to learn W10..

So basically, instead of having the ball there at the end of my counterflow chiller I would like a camlock.

Inbetwwen the 'T' and the ball valve is a compression fitting, 1/2' insize.

probably not ideal plumbling practices, but it works..

I guess my real question is, does a camlock have some kind of taper inside to close down on the olive?

My ballvalve has a small or narrow one but it works.

scooterism said:
I guess my real question is, does a camlock have some kind of taper inside to close down on the olive?
In my experience yes, this works, if using a type F male-to-male camlock.

The olives I've used only need the smallest of compression to seal. Not sure if this is universal or not.

I just saw your photo and it's different from what I'm thinking. What I'm describing is the olive sealing at the base of the male cam lock. What you want is the olive sealing up inside the female camlock.

Not sure about that sorry.

ok, 'T' piece+compression fitting w/ olive+ball valve.

Replace ball valve w/ camlock.

Yeah - I just realised that the current compression fitting is likely 1/2" anyway so take off the ball valve, put on your camlock and win.

Unless you were trying to rid yourself of brass in contact with your wort...

Back