Camco elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dooma

Reaction score
Hey guys has anyone had a rust issue with their camco element? Does anybody know how to prevent this?

1417938598836.jpg

Are you sure it's rust and not built up gunk. I don't have one but that isn't pretty.
Cheers....spog...

Its definitly not gunk the element is brand new never done a batch, all I've done is test for water tighness, while the water sat in there a cloud of rust formed around the element.....I have two, one in the hlt and one in boil pot both have done the same

It's not good that it is doing it, I would let the seller know and see what they say.

Give it a scrub with a plastic scourer to remove it, and then pickle it using some starsan.

Yep, I've got two camco elements. The ULWD element is the "limelife" product (incoloy coated) which is for the boil kettle. This one is fine, no issues whatsoever.

The other is like yours. It's for the HLT so I just got the cheaper nickel coated, high watt density element. Every few batches I need to give it a gentle scrub with a nylon scourer to remove the rust... I also invert the pots for a few days after a brew so there is no water sitting in them.

Thanks guys I'll give the scrub and pickle a go!.....

QldKev...how long and what strength would you recommend??

Dooma said:
Thanks guys I'll give the scrub and pickle a go!.....

QldKev...how long and what strength would you recommend??

Straight, for 30-60mins. It should only need a few ml.

Back