Call To Lift Drinking Age & Double Price Drinks...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I work in entertainment. People can't afford to drink in licensed venues as is and turn to other options not leagal. Especially teenagers/young adults. See it growing at an alarming rate. This will boost it

Say bye-bye to the hospitality & local tourism industries if that ever got up.

See, someone thinking just slightly laterally has blown the suggestion right out of the airlock...

Most of here enjoy the benefits of manufacturing cheap beer and I doubt there's more than a handful here who has become a little deviant (no I've not seen any case swap photos...!), and raising the, nay doubling the price of a drink will only encourage the criminal classes... see America C 1920's

I am a serial binge drinker, I use Alcohol irresponsibly; I am drunk at a minimum of 3 days a week, and have been for 7 years. I have never been in a fight while drunk. I will forego eating if I haven't got enough money for beer and food. In the past 7 years I could count my AFDs on two hands.

I love it and have no intention of stopping yet. I'm still fit and healthy, exercise regularly and importantly, I am able to maintain great relationships with my family, friends and women. The only thing that troubles me is that I'm broke all the time (and maybe liver cancer).

Is this too much honesty for a public forum?

The guy recommending it is a criminologist, what does he know about scientific evidence?
im not sure whether your being sarcastic or not P&C. amoung other things I studied Criminal Justice and criminology. a lot of its based on scientific evidence.

anyhoo... since this thread will go into a sh*tfight as its an internet forum and no one will write a paper on the complicated issue...

bloody bleeding heart do gooders. dont smack your kids, dont yell at them etc etc. kids now a days have no respect. well some do. sweeping generalisation. a lot dont. it is a smaller minority that are causing issues. these minority group needs a good kick up the backside. parents are hamstrung these days with kids spouting off what their rights are etc (which of course most of them watch too much TV and think that the 'rights' people spout on US tv programs apply to them in Australia).

Wrong. History has shown that raising the price of alcohol just means that those on lower incomes will spend less on food.
yup. each depression in history has shown that. also in current climate low socioeconomic groups spend more on booze, smokes etc than food. (again certain groups do). thats why there are programs that give disadvantaged kids breakkie at school b/c there's not enough food at home etc. its bloody terrible.

people/kids need to be educated by their parents. parents need to take responsibility.

now someone take away my old man soap box.

edit: jump back on my soap box.
again why doesnt the government do something that will work. fine for selling alc to minors. $50,000 fine, person selling alc gets a $2,000 fine and is banned from selling alc for 12months. i garentee you people wont sell grog to minors and will check ID. its like chris rock joked about bullets costing $10,000 each and there would be no such thing as an innocent bystander being shot cause it costs too much to be nonchalant about spraying bullets around.

the fines for selling to minors are huge something like 18000 for the licensee and 3000 for the person who sold it and the same for the buyer. ffs, it doesn't matter, it's nearly impossible to enforce. Alcohol doesn't create violence. The violence was already there, the booze just helps bring it out. The problem is dickheads, not booze.

there are fines but they arent that big and they are never given out. its bollocks.
oh and i meant to write $250,000 fine not $50,000

the article also mentions overcrowding and poorly designed pubs so why don't they make more pubs instead of closing them down.
i hate seeing old pubs that have been turned into some stupid retail shop it's happening more and more in sydney.

Is this too much honesty for a public forum?

Nope, good on you.

Me personally, these days I don't think that much. Maybe a few schooners of home brew after work but most days nothing. Every 2-4 weeks I'll have a proper drink which would usually be anywhere from 15-25 standard drinks.

Seems to be promoting nothing more than an expansion of the underclass, to put it nicely.

- boingk

Faark! Surnames not Thatcher buy any chance is it?

Faark! Surnames not Thatcher buy any chance is it?
Nah, but I do like my politics. And living in a town with a sizeable jail and related community housing area, you can see it happening around you. Its scary...

:unsure:

- boingk

the fines for selling to minors are huge something like 18000 for the licensee and 3000 for the person who sold it and the same for the buyer. ffs, it doesn't matter, it's nearly impossible to enforce. Alcohol doesn't create violence. The violence was already there, the booze just helps bring it out. The problem is dickheads, not booze.

The fines are huge but Magistrates rarely enforce or issue them. Appeals against on-the-spot fines to Liquor Licensing take years. Minimum sentencing would fix this in Queensland anyway. At least then you know the offende will get something as opposed to nothing.

I'd like to know more about where this behavior has happened.

My ex works in welfare. Price/tax hikes on booze and smokes did not stop her clients from smoking and drinking, but it did stop a good number of them from eating.

The drinking age is 20 or 21 in Finland sweden and Norway.
Unles you are dining in a licenced restaurant
There is a monopoly on selling BOOZ by Government.
Before the EU the prices where ridiculous but overseas competion has dropped them.
That hasn't stopped people from drinking

The violence will not decrease until post worldwar 3.
Try to harness all that testosterone with energy-drinks and Vodka and a couple of pills.

The drug culture in this country is strong and has not subsided in 20 years.
The drugs are just more potent and F@#ks u up.
Some guys act 16 years old but in their mid 30s.
Mary jane did it too them
Bitch

Ha Ha :)

the article also mentions overcrowding and poorly designed pubs so why don't they make more pubs instead of closing them down.
i hate seeing old pubs that have been turned into some stupid retail shop it's happening more and more in sydney.
Many small pubs aren't making enough money to keep on top of their mortgages so they end up going under to the banks. Sad as it may be greedy state governments, chronic taxation and regulation have bought the little pub to their knees.

:(

Most pubs these days would be gone within a month if not for their "hardship pokie entitlements"

Basically means you get 15 free licences to run a pokie (entitlements can run for over 100K at a serious auction).

Back