Calculating Help...first Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
OK, My first AG has gone well so far. The wort has a SG reading of 1.062 and want it down to 1.040, is there a formula to calculate the amount of water to add to get required SG

jeddog

Depends on the current volume...

Assuming the wort is at room tmeperature:

Current Volume * 62 / 40 = Required Volume

Water Addition = Required Volume - Current Volume

Thanks Adamt

she's still on a roll boil and the SG is 1.071 and is approx 9 Lt volume
I'm only doing a small batch to fit in a 9Lt keg and my pot is 12 Lt, so started with 10 Lt and not sure how to calculate water addition..so it's not a volume issue it's a SG issue .....if that make any sense at all :huh:
I just don't want to add a little water into fermenter and test them add more and test, sort of hit and miss :unsure:

jeddog

you need promash........ it works all that out and for the $25 its a great investment.

Post you final volume and gravity and the SG you wish to dilute to and im sure I, or someone else can give you a good figure

cheers

What Adam's posted is correct. Have a think about it and I'm sure it will make sense, or you could google 'Wort Dilution Calculator' and end up at this page. About a 1/4 of the way down.

Latest posts

Back