C02 gas hose

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarsideOfCrazy

Reaction score
Has anyone used or know if this type of gas hose is available in Australia? I asked at pirtek but they had nothing like it.

https://www.kegoutlet.com/hose-gas-hose-red-5-16-id-9-16-od.html

Looks like it's more flexible than the gas line we can get here so it would go better in my keezer that I'm putting together. Was wondering if it being a 2 layered construction would it be better than the single walled line?

Cheers team

The negative is the hose is not transparent therefore you cannot see if beer has gone back into the line thus potential for infection.

Ok its pretty, but just had a quick look at pressure rating on the Brewmaster2 type of tubing I use, 300psi rather than 60psi rated, and can make all the same claims about flavour...
By the time you get it here it wont even be very cheap. If you ask nicely Andale may have some coloured line in stock, try the Somersby office where they make Pythons.
Mark

Grott, I was going to use the disconnects with one way valves built in, so shouldn't get beer in the line anyway.

Mark, I would have thought that 60 psi rated pressure was more than enough? Even when I force carb, around 300kpa or 45 psi, it's still well under it's rating.

I'm using valpar flexmaster line and it won't run where I was hoping it would without bending it to the point of it breaking. I was thinking the point of this type of hose is that it's quite flexible and that the permeability of the line would be better than a single walled tubing.

There was a thread recently on heat shaping line so it stays where you want it.
Other than that, the pretty low pressure rating (= Strength) is about the only specified property. Its flexibility and permeability aren't given, nor is any info on what its made from, so assume away, just hope that the assumptions don't end up biting you on the arse.
I'm not saying it isn't good line, just that the only real information we have is that: -
You like the look of it
It has a pretty poor pressure rating
the manufacture thinks its great...

Want to buy a bridge?
Mark

Similar tubing is available from the Big 3 equipment suppliers. (Andale, Lancer, Bracton.)
The tube is available by the meter or as 5 meter coils.
Working pressure of 149PSI @ 75 deg F. An example of pricing from Bracton:

• 6mm x 10mm PU tube $4.29 per meter.
  • 6mm x 10mm PU tube / coiled / 5meter. $26.72
This is what they look like:

upload_2017-7-24_8-18-46.png

EDIT TO ADD: I think this may be the recent thread MHB was referring to, which may be of interest to you.

https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/where-to-buy-curly-beer-line.95193/#post-1457702

Last edited:
I've used the curly bracton stuff commercially, was fuckin awesome. Had the gas disconnects mounted on the roof of the coolroom, so your hoses were just always up out of the way. But I wouldnt use one at home unless you've got a no-return valve on it personally, the above criticism about being unable to see if any beer's gone up them is quite valid

EDIT - also meant if the compressor driving the beer-pumps died I could just run a co2 line over there in about two seconds flat as a backup, which saved my arse one busy night

I thought 60psi did seem quite low for a max pressure rating given it is 2 layered.
what about the john guest stuff? they say it is for water purification systems etc.
these guys sell it for $2/m as gas/beer line rated to 200 odd psi and it comes in a few colours
https://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/kegging-hoses/products/john-guest-blue-tubing

I have used this tubing in a commercial application a couple of times before, never again.

I am usually a big fan of John Guest products, but they have burnt their bridges with me on this product. The tubing develops pin holes after a very short time. Don't know why, but it does. I have had 100% fail rate with this tubing.

The tubing develops pin holes after a very short time

This was also one of the problems I've had with the valpar line I'm using at the moment.

On this problem as a side note what is the life expectancy of a gas line? I've had the valpar for about 4 years and some of it has been in use for that long other pieces for less. My system developed a slow leak a while ago and I've been swapping connects, clamps, JG fittings and the only thing left was the line, which seems to have been the problem all along, (once I found the major leak which was in the regulator). I've changed some of the tubing and it seems to be holding pressure now. The leaks in the tubing were so slow that I couldn't see anything even when I had everything, up to the reg, submerged in a bucket of water.

I'm not expecting the line to last forever just wanted to know if there should be a 'used by date' on it.

This was also one of the problems I've had with the valpar line I'm using at the moment.

On this problem as a side note what is the life expectancy of a gas line?

I'm not expecting the line to last forever just wanted to know if there should be a 'used by date' on it.

I usually use EVA tubing, as it provides a lot more flexibility than the Valpar, Brewmaster, Cobraflex etc. type tubing. I am very impressed with it, and some of my gas installs I did as an apprentice nearly 20 years ago are still going strong. Currently, I buy this tubing from a mob in Mordialloc called Barfell. They seem to have a good pricing structure, and their service is good. Link below, but I couldn't see any info on the range of EVA tubing.

http://www.barfell.com/

I am not a scientist, so I can't say definitively what all the causes of deterioration are, however I have picked up a few clues over the years. Things like mechanical interference, extreme temperature fluctuation, UV light, continual movement, etc, all contribute to shortening the life of your tube.

Also of note is commercial kegs have Non return valves built into the coupler, there is a ball lock coupler with inbuilt NRV but they're pricey. I'm also in the middle of building out a keezer, I hate these threads popping up it always means spending dollars. I was set on grabbing the SS couplers from KK, as I've found a few of my plastic couplers have scratched on the sealing face (3 years down the track). And we all know gas leaks however minor can drive a brewer nuts.

Latest posts

Back