C02 Cylinder - What Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaypes

It is, a nice!
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am pricing up a keg system and am wondering what people use for the C02 cylinder - rented, own, swap?

There seems a few threads of people buying them off ebay and not being able to get them refilled?

I dont want to do the swap thing from my LHBS - $199 for KegKing and $279 for MyKegOnLegs - both 2.6 and 2.3kgs.

I can buy this one off ebay for $149, which is a KegKing 2.6kg, although it states refill is $25-35 depending on where you go - will I have problems if I buy this? I am in Sydney.

Also is this enough to run 2x 19l kegs? How long would it roughly last? Should I be looking at the next size up?

It would take me a while to demolish 38l of beer

The cylinder from Keg King is probably the most cost effective if you're not buying secondhand. I don't have anything to back that up but I know it's what I decided to do back when I bought mine.

Costs about $25 - $30 to get it refilled, yeah, but buying your own cylinder as opposed to renting one will pay off in the long term.

It's definitely fine for 2 x 19L kegs. Assuming you're force carbing, one full 2.6kg CO2 tank should carb/dispense 180L which is about 10 kegs worth (assuming you've put it together properly and it's not leaking gas).

I have the Keg King 2.6 also.
You buy it (like that one off ebay) and then you can either get it filled, or swap it at one of the LHBS that stock them.
Where abouts in Sydney are you? The closest LHBS to me (inner Sydney) is ESB, which is about 45 minutes away. The Kegking website has an interactive map showing the locations.
I managed to get one filled at St Peters once, but you have to leave it for a day, and they charge heaps.

2.6kg should last you up to 10 kegs.

I am in Gladesville, I didnt really like the idea of a swap system - spending that much money and getting someone else's cylinder - maybe for $60 like the LPG but not for $200

Will check the KegKing website for filling locations

Thanks

Keep in mind their list isn't complete. I get mine filled at a place not on their list (and cheaper than the places they do have on the list). If there's nobody on the list near you, phone around.

I spoke to the guys at KegKing (Springvale, VIC) before purchasing my CO2 fire extinguisher and all they told me was if it had the standard connection and it was within the service period (pressure tested etc) then I could get it filled there.

Got it for a song too

I am in Gladesville, I didnt really like the idea of a swap system - spending that much money and getting someone else's cylinder - maybe for $60 like the LPG but not for $200

Thanks

I swap and go at Dave's home brew in nth Sydney. It's not anywhere near $200 to swap. More like $35 once you 'own' a cylinder. Getting your first one is the only big outlay. The cylinders that have 'my keg on legs' stamped on them have always been in excellent condition in my experience. Besides, they last ages and I use them to dispense, push beer around, thru filters, carb up and conditioning. Cheap as in the long run.

My 2.6kg just happens to be almost empty now.

Spoke to these guys:
Aquadisiac in Surry Hills, who will refill a 2.6kg for $26.

You need about 200g including waste to force carb a 19L keg.

I've forced carbed and served 11 kegs now on my current 2.6kg bottle and it's still going...

sweet, all I need to do now is submit a purchase request to the warden

sweet, all I need to do now is submit a purchase request to the warden

Im Currently Looking into BOC and SupaGas Iv got an ABN and a registered business however im pretty sure they would sell to GP.....

I'll post up pricing once i know

cheers

yeah I did the 2.6kg KegKing cylinder from an eBay store. Don't worry about the swap'n'go thing - same with your BBQ gas cylinder.... they're generally decent bottles you get when swapping, and if not - you'll only be swapping it over again in a few months anyway, right? They are always functional though, I'd imagine they legally have to be in safe, working condition to be sold/swapped.

As far as refilling goes, I struggled to find anyone in Melbs who does that anymore... and swap'n'go is easy from LHBS, I'm there anyway every couple of weeks.

Couldn't be arsed with renting.

I use BOC, its more expensive from what people tell me, but since i can get my argosheild, argon, oxygen and Co2 all from the same place on the same account, i pay for convenience. They will even home deliver if i get lazy.

I use BOC but have a 5kg fire extinguisher there I am going to use, Safety officer at work gave it to me and when its empty he said he will get it filled and tested at cost so thats cool. If they cant test it and remove the diptube I have other plans for it none beer related :p

BOC is about $16 a month for 9kg bottle and cant remember the change over about $35? been a good 8 months or more. That with no ABN just pure public rates

I use BOC but have a 5kg fire extinguisher there I am going to use, Safety officer at work gave it to me and when its empty he said he will get it filled and tested at cost so thats cool. If they cant test it and remove the diptube I have other plans for it none beer related :p

BOC is about $16 a month for 9kg bottle and cant remember the change over about $35? been a good 8 months or more. That with no ABN just pure public rates

Hmm we get forking gas for work.... should ask the boss to look into it for me through his supa gas acct.... if he can be forked!!!!! hahahah

i bought the ebay kegking 2.6kg ,have changed it over once looked and got the best of the bunch that was there ,cause was the same pay a heap and then trade in for a banged up one.
emailed someone in perth that fills them for pricing and they said $20+gst so might as well just change it over at lhbs

drought

small fire in rubbish bin somewhere blast away there ya go its empty :) bloody smokers :)

I swap and go at Dave's home brew in nth Sydney. It's not anywhere near $200 to swap. More like $35 once you 'own' a cylinder. Getting your first one is the only big outlay. The cylinders that have 'my keg on legs' stamped on them have always been in excellent condition in my experience. Besides, they last ages and I use them to dispense, push beer around, thru filters, carb up and conditioning. Cheap as in the long run.
i do the same. also they are tested quite frequently as well.
actually i just won a second bottle which will be heading to my father in law

After a lot of research I found the 2.6 kg Keg King was going to best meet my needs mostly price and ease of refilling. I have a couple of different places nearby where I can swap and go. As far as getting someone elses dodgey bottle I don't think it's an issue as each bottle needs to be tested on a regular basis probably less risk than if you kept getting your own refilled. Actually the last bottle I picked up was brand new.

My 2.6kg just happens to be almost empty now.

Spoke to these guys:
Aquadisiac in Surry Hills, who will refill a 2.6kg for $26.

I've got a 2.6kg KK one and it's fine for me. I keep 2 x sodastream bottles on hand for emergencies. Never had any problems. I like my kk cylinder :)

I have used aquadisiac for the past few fills. Though i don't know if they use a C02 pump to fill the bottles. Alot of pet stores want frozen tanks... Aquadisiac could find some additional revenue from a setup and let the word out.... I'd be happy to spread it!

That being said, they have been nothing but grand, and i'll go back there in the future.

Back