C02 Cylinder - What Do You Use?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the 6kg kegking - lasts for ages and the LHBS refills it for $50.
Runs my 4 kegs (3 on tap). It was $250 delivered IIRC.

I am in Gladesville, I didnt really like the idea of a swap system - spending that much money and getting someone else's cylinder - maybe for $60 like the LPG but not for $200

Will check the KegKing website for filling locations

Thanks

I'm sure if you put a little tag with your name on, you could leave your bottle for a couple of days at wherever you go for refills, and you will be sure to get your own bottle back. They tend to do all the refills at once rather than on at a time like a bbq bottle.

Another thing to look at is that a 6kg Keg King cylinder is only around $250. For an extra $50 you get 2 and a bit times size cylinder with a refill of about $50.

I swap-n-go a 6.8KG mykegsonlegs cylinder and a diemen 540g cylinder. Most Sydney LHBS stock the swaps, so its easy, but I get them at Pat's absolutehomebrew in st marys.

The 6.8 is my main cylinder and I use the 540g for my portable setup and as an emergency backup. Lasts ages if you're not carbonating with the small cylinder.

Once I stopped wasting gas pushing liquids around while cleaning and built a garden sprayer for cleaning the gas lasts for ages.

I'm going to get shot down for this, but I use a Sodastream bottle (mainly because I had the machine and 3 bottles already).

I get a bit over 3 kegs (carb and dispense) from a bottle ($18 swap at Woolies), and I go through probably 2 kegs a month, so costs me around $12/month which is cheaper than a rental bottle.

Great thread as I'm currently getting gear for kegging.
If you naturally carb in the keg, how long do you reckon a sodastream bottle lasts?
Going to start with this and improve on at a later stage.

Great thread as I'm currently getting gear for kegging.
If you naturally carb in the keg, how long do you reckon a sodastream bottle lasts?
Going to start with this and improve on at a later stage.

According to the calculator on QldKevs site, you'd get around 10 kegs from a sodastream if just dispensing.

SupaGas Quoted me $14.95/Mo Rental and $42 a fill on a 10KG bottle.... a 10kg bottle would Carb and fill kegs at my house for a couple of years id say Went my LHBS on the way home tonight they Quoted me $200 for a 2.4kg bottle and $24 a swap..... so i'll weigh it up myself to what suits me......

Buying a 6.8kg outright = 2 years rental charges. BOC, Supagas, etc refills are slightly cheaper than getting your own filled/swap at the LHBS but not paying rent. I own my CO2 cylinder and rent a Cellamix 40 nitrogen mix from BOC for stout.

With the bigger 6 - 6.8kg (depending on Kegking mykegsonlegs) you should only need a couple fills a year plus get more gas for your money when refilling/swap compared to a 2.4kg bottle.

2kg of CO2 ~ 1000L gas so carbonating at 2.5 vol means that you should be able to gas and serve 400L beer (20kegs) with 4kg gas (I could be wrong on this calc - couldn't be bothered checking the numbers - you know how much gas you use).

Consider the cost over 10 years (without inflation, cpi bs, etc)
rental Supagas quoted above $14.95/month for 10kg bottle = $179/year = $1790 over 10 years
refills - say you drink a lot and need 3 fills/year @ $38.60/fill = $115.50 x 10 years = $1150
total cost over 10 years = $2940

buy a 6.8kg $349 (at my LHBS)
refills $54.20 for 6.8kg so its 4.4 fills/year (30kg) = $239/year x 10 = $2390
total over 10 years = $2739
Saving buying your own $200

If you like your my mate and I who only need 1 or 2 6kg cylinder fills a year then the savings even are better

rental fills 1.5/year = $57.9 = $579 over 10 years + $1790 = $2369
own fills 2/year = 108.40 = $1084 over 10 years + $349 = $1433
saving of $963 :beerbang:

Latest posts

Back