Burping A 50l Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xr6tblue

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am just about to fill a 50L keg in the next couple of days and was wondering how do i burp the big fella when there is no presure releif valve? I brought a D type coupler and just waiting for the quick connect fittings to go on it.

Can anyone help me with my little dilema....... :blink:

Gas in, is the side fitting. You can either unscrew the snaplock fitting or disconnect your gas line from the regulator, whilst attached to the keg.

Saw a video on youtube where you just take an open ended spanner, hook it onto the 'thread' on the inside of the flange and use the 'shouder' of the open ended spanner to press the ball down. Might want to cover with a cloth in-case of spray.

I just burped a keg this way. Big black rubber o-ring, press down with a flat object quite hard, it will burp the keg.

Also if you are worried about beer-spray, lay the keg on it's side and burp it, that way all the excess beer won't be drawn up the tube.

Good tips to depressurise a keg before butchering. I was assuming the OP was actually using the keg for dispensing, as they were waiting for a coupling to turn up.
If you are ready to take the top of a keg for brewery parts you can also drill a hole straight in the top and wait for the hiss, then get the grinder out.

Does sound like he meant venting the keg not butchering it apart.

You can just poke/push something into the gas disconnect on the coupler to vent it, but for filling the keg through the coupler you don't want to stand there holding the disconnect open, if you have a line that comes out of the gas side you have it open and it will fill, when your get foam and beer in the line your know its full.

Thanks guys, Yes I am going to FILL it with beer for consumption. I have removed the spear already for ease of filling. I will try and do it through the gas in line somehow, it will have a quick connect post the same as on a corny keg(expensive little suckers). Will report back when i work it out, wont be for another couple of days as shift work and brewing don't really go hand in hand.

Thanks again for the ideas.

Could be a bit dangerous?! Having the top fly out of that!!! The welds look very strong, sure it's OK but I'd be cautious of home made pressure vessels?

How do the pros burp 50L kegs? Do they bother?

If you have the spear out to fill it then just run a line into the keg from co2 reg and put a heap of gas injo it then fill with beer. Have done this my self so i dont have to brew in summer

If you have the spear out to fill it then just run a line into the keg from co2 reg and put a heap of gas injo it then fill with beer. Have done this my self so i dont have to brew in summer

I do like that idea, I will give that a crack as soon as I get a new coupler, the one i have has smaller threaded posts for the ball locks fittings I just brought, never mind as I am clearing the amber liquid for a couple of days anyway.
Thanks for your help guys.

By the looks of the new coupler I'm getting, it has a pressure releif valve on it so problem solved hopefully.

imageMain_2_36.jpg

Works a treat, now to fill the big girl up and wait until it is ready. Will be interesting to see how long it takes to empty.

I also ordered these
imageMain_2_38.jpg
for easy change overs. Take no notice of the out of stock stamp, they got them for me pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back