Burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielscott26

Reaction score
Hey guys Im currently using a 3 ring burner but im wanting a bit more grunt. Should i try a med/hi flow regulator on the 3 ring or should i buy a new burner?

Ive been looking at the italian spiral burners with frame but cant find where to buy one in QLD if any one knows please let me know or if you guys are using a burner that you would recommend that can be brought around brisbane Gold coast area or online with decent delivery cost then please post a link.

I only brew single batches in a 50 litre pot.

Thanks for your advise guys
Cheers

Camping plus just up the road from Harbour Town (on the other side of the road) has the same one in Du99's photo with regulator - at around $140. I think it is called Camping World. I use one up to 60 litres of wort and it would do more easily..

Dan26 said:
Are they the nasa burners that people talk about on the site? The frame looks quite good
Yep, they go great. I use the frame with a 50 ltr keg but not with my 90 litre pot, but I'd be confident putting that on the stand, it's well built - just the way my rig is set up.

Logman said:
Yep, they go great. I use the frame with a 50 ltr keg but not with my 90 litre pot, but I'd be confident putting that on the stand, it's well built - just the way my rig is set up.
Thanks mate i use a 50 litre alloy pot so it should be fine. I mite have a look at this burner. Does it come with the hose or just the regulator?

Yeah it comes ready to hook up to the gas bottle. The regulator it comes with is fine and they make quite a noise at full blast, very strong flame.

I just bought an adjustable regulator from CB for my three ring and problem fixed! Cost under $50 from memory. I use a 70l pot and it goes like a ripper!

I just received an italian spiral from beerbelly and hooked it up to my adjustable MP reg. The stand is sturdy and good size to sit a keg on. I fired it up briefly to see how it goes and it sure puts out a heap of heat, more than my 3-ring with MP adjustable reg. Nice big blue flame. I reckon it will heat up the kettle much quicker not only due to the higher output, but the more concentrated flame will mean less flames licking up the side of the kettle that the 3-ring seems to do.

But a MP adjustable on a 3-ring is a big jump in output than just the LP reg - just adding that will make a big difference. But stepping up to a spiral with MP reg will put out even more heat.

cdbrown said:
I just received an italian spiral from beerbelly and hooked it up to my adjustable MP reg. The stand is sturdy and good size to sit a keg on. I fired it up briefly to see how it goes and it sure puts out a heap of heat, more than my 3-ring with MP adjustable reg. Nice big blue flame. I reckon it will heat up the kettle much quicker not only due to the higher output, but the more concentrated flame will mean less flames licking up the side of the kettle that the 3-ring seems to do.

But a MP adjustable on a 3-ring is a big jump in output than just the LP reg - just adding that will make a big difference. But stepping up to a spiral with MP reg will put out even more heat.
Can i ask how much you paid for shipping?

An adjustable regulator will sort your three ring out no worries. I use a 3 ring mounted in a wheel rim to heat a 120l stainless boiler and it does it in just over an hour. You can also use a HP regulator and adjust it with a small ball or needle valve, that's what i have on my 160l pot connected to a four ring.

Snap.. Wheel rims make frikkin awesome stands, I use a 3 ring same as Punkin but can fit a 4 ring into the stand if needs be, to date, I've not needed other than the 3 ring and adjustable reg.. One of those red jobbies with the wheel.. Beerbelly model I think from memory.

Dan26 said:
Can i ask how much you paid for shipping?
$35.

The burner is awesome. Put's out a heap of heat and I found it easier to get the right flame than a 3-ring.

punkin said:
An adjustable regulator will sort your three ring out no worries. I use a 3 ring mounted in a wheel rim to heat a 120l stainless boiler and it does it in just over an hour. You can also use a HP regulator and adjust it with a small ball or needle valve, that's what i have on my 160l pot connected to a four ring.

I was going to suggest starting with the reg rather than changing burner.

It will make a difference and it might be enough of a difference. Even if you do upgrade the burner, the reg will still be useful on the new one.

Agreed with the 3 ring burner in a wheel
3 or 4 legs made of angle iron welded on and cut a slot for the burner to sit in, and you've got a great BIAB setup
I use a cheap chinese high pressure adjustable regulator i got on ebay and my mash water is ready in about 45 minutes with the reg at 1/2-3/4 pressure

Dan26 said:
Are they the nasa burners that people talk about on the site? The frame looks quite good
Yes they are & good to know where to get a replacement when my NASA finally gives up the ghost. Still going strong after 8 or 9 years.
They DO need a clean-out once in a while to get rid of rust particles, etc around the burner holes.
I incorporated the stand into the brewery whilst building the frame.

punkin said:
3 legs will never wobble. Don,t use 4 legs.
mine has 3 legs, but one is a little long and I'm sometimes scared it could topple over
i know this could be remedied by me just grinding the long leg down...

Thanks for the reply's guys i'm going to change my regulator first then see how i go with that. If i need another burner later on then at least il have an adjustable regulator for it.

punkin said:
Can you show me a pic of your burner in the wheel rim? Id love to weld together a frame but i dont have the gear so a wheel would be great.

hey dan26 you should come to the goldclub 2nd friday at burligh brewing 6pm-9pm we can alway do with more people at beer club, good place to find out about other peoples set up and beer

Latest posts

Back