• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Burner Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppinmad

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 50L kegs and need a decent burner to handle a wort boil of about 30L (max). I don't have a regulator or stand either, so would be interested in buying those too.

cheers

G'day Hoppin, It's Hopping here!

I have an Italian Spiral Burner and it works well but not super fast. Boils 35 litres in around 50 mins. (In a 50L vessel with a lid - not insulated yet and no heat shroud so that will speed it up).

If you don't mind noise and have a well ventilated area (or are prepared to boil outdoors), then get yourself the Nasa burner. You'll boil in at least 10 mins less than an Italian according to posts I've read here. Possibly even less.

I personally went for the Italian Spiral (on a medium reg) as it is whisper quiet. Posts I've read here say NASAs make a bunch of noise, but get the job done quicker. So weigh it up, but you'll find most replies will say in terms of boil speed:

- Prawn cooker (commercial fishermen use them to roast crabs and the like - they're like a flame thrower! Not common and you won't find in any brew store)
- Nasa
- Italian Spiral
- Mongolian Burner
- 4 ring burner
- 3 ring burner
- 2 ring burner

Bear in mind speeds on Mongolians, Italians and 4 rings can be pretty similar depending on the unit.
Mongolians seem to polarise people. Have heard of plenty wanting to trade them in, whereas others swear by 'em.
Thus far, my Italian has done me fine, and if my brew shed wasn't so close to the neighbours and I didn't do so much night brewing I'd be going a NASA.

Cheers,

Hopper.

G'day Hoppin, It's Hopping here!

I have an Italian Spiral Burner and it works well but not super fast. Boils 35 litres in around 50 mins. (In a 50L vessel with a lid - not insulated yet and no heat shroud so that will speed it up).

If you don't mind noise and have a well ventilated area (or are prepared to boil outdoors), then get yourself the Nasa burner. You'll boil in at least 10 mins less than an Italian according to posts I've read here. Possibly even less.

I personally went for the Italian Spiral (on a medium reg) as it is whisper quiet. Posts I've read here say NASAs make a bunch of noise, but get the job done quicker. So weigh it up, but you'll find most replies will say in terms of boil speed:

- Prawn cooker (commercial fishermen use them to roast crabs and the like - they're like a flame thrower! Not common and you won't find in any brew store)
- Nasa
- Italian Spiral
- Mongolian Burner
- 4 ring burner
- 3 ring burner
- 2 ring burner

Bear in mind speeds on Mongolians, Italians and 4 rings can be pretty similar depending on the unit.
Mongolians seem to polarise people. Have heard of plenty wanting to trade them in, whereas others swear by 'em.
Thus far, my Italian has done me fine, and if my brew shed wasn't so close to the neighbours and I didn't do so much night brewing I'd be going a NASA.

Cheers,

Hopper.

Hi Hopping...

I generally brew down in the bottom paddock outside the tack shed and i am a long way from other houses so noise and danger is quite alright by me. The prawn cooker sounds the bollocks! if only i could get my hands on one of those! But really I just want something thats gonna get the job done. The wort goes in pretty warm anyway I suppose, but the quicker it gets to boiling the better really. It is more price I'm thinking about

- Nasa
- Italian Spiral

I have only heard otherwise...that the italian is superior to the nasa...

I am running a 4 ring bought from G&G [Link above in banner]... Runs on a standard low press. reg [Same as BBQ]

I use a 50L keggle, takes 40 mins to go from mash out temp to boil! NB: I usually only use 3 ring as the keggle is about the same size as ring 4 so can only fire it up if the day absolutely wind free!!

I hope this helps!

I use a 50ltr Keggle and my Pre-boil volume is 28ltrs.. I use a 2 ring burner with low pressure regulator and I turn it on once I start sparging, gets to the boil in 30 minutes and rolls along nicely, dont have to make any adjustments at all..

Always think about something bigger but really dont have a need when I compare it against the "Bigger Burners & Higher Pressure Regulators".. Maybe if I was doing double batches it would be a different story, but dont plan on that yet... ;)

link

compare post number 48 with post number 54

edit: oh and post number 57

I have been trialing my spiral on boiling 60ltrs of water and thus far have been a little dissapointed. I can get the boil to start and continue but I like a more rolling boil which is an effort. I have adjusted pot heights, flame, reg you name it. After some discussion I have decided to give the mongolian burner a crack. Hopefully it will be here by the week-end. The spiral with a adjustable reg would be plenty to get the boil you require. If the mongolian turns out better I will have a spiral up for sale.

BYB

Hiya,

I have a four ring burner from Rays and use an adjustable pressure regulator. With the regulator turned up, I only use two rings of the four burner and it boils in less than 30 minutes with a 50 litre wort volume. I have a stainless shroud around mine which reduced the boil time. So if I was to do it again, I would just buy a two ring burner from Rays, cheap as, the adjustable regulator was about $80 from memory.

I have a welder and made my own stand out of angle iron, dirt cheap! If you buy the angle, we can make it over at my place once you have the measurements.

John

I have a Rambo wok burner with an adjustable reg, and it will get the wort form sparge to boil in about 15 minutes. Maintains a rolling boil on about quarter throttle. Generally I turn it on low at the start of the sparge, and arc it up at the completion, and it only takes about 5 minutes to come to the boil.

I have a spiral burner and i turn the flame on low when im sparging then krank it up once sparge is complete. Last week doing thi it took 15mins to boil 48lt once kranked up.

Cheers KHB

hey mate,

I rememebre a while back(just after christmass) that Rays Outdoors was selli9ng burners, one ring, for as low as $20 not sure how good there selection is but might be worth checking out if you have a rays outdoors local

Aaron

link

compare post number 48 with post number 54

edit: oh and post number 57

Hmmm... interesting results. I have an Italian on a medium pressure reg and there's no way it could heat to 100 degrees on mine from 16.5 degrees in just 29 mins. That result astounds me. On mine from cold temp you'd have to double the time almost. That's the time it takes me to heat up my HLT keggle. Mind you my reg is not adjustable.

Hopper.

Latest posts

Back