Burner Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm currently using my bbq to do boils for my AG brews. It works ok but im looking for a better setup without spemding a fortune. (and yes i have seen manticles webber cooker and think it is brilliant)

Quick question. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the ring burners you can buy from camping stores or bbq galore etc for around $40? I saw one the other day and it looked like it would do the job. I asked the guy at the shop what he thought about using it for brewing and he FREAKED! I thought it was hilarious. He said that he would have trouble selling it to me for anything other than bbq'ing because is something went wrong, I would come back and blame him blah, blah, blah. I told him I just need to boil a big pot and he was still struggling to come to terms with that.

The burner seems okay. It is a double ring made of cast iron. As best I can tell it works of the regulator from my normal bbq. I know that I should spend the extra and get a NASA or italian spiral but im thinking $$$.

Any suggestions,

aches

ps Im not sure if i have this in the right thread. My apol. if i got it wrong.

depends on the size of your boil a three or four is the go

Hey all,
I'm currently using my bbq to do boils for my AG brews. It works ok but im looking for a better setup without spemding a fortune. (and yes i have seen manticles webber cooker and think it is brilliant)

Quick question. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the ring burners you can buy from camping stores or bbq galore etc for around $40? I saw one the other day and it looked like it would do the job. I asked the guy at the shop what he thought about using it for brewing and he FREAKED! I thought it was hilarious. He said that he would have trouble selling it to me for anything other than bbq'ing because is something went wrong, I would come back and blame him blah, blah, blah. I told him I just need to boil a big pot and he was still struggling to come to terms with that.

The burner seems okay. It is a double ring made of cast iron. As best I can tell it works of the regulator from my normal bbq. I know that I should spend the extra and get a NASA or italian spiral but im thinking $$$.

Any suggestions,

aches

I use a three ring burner for my 30ltr boils, I use a immersion element as well to get it up to the boil and it gets there in about 15min (pretty quick). I turn the immersion off once it gets to the boil. I have just the plain bbq issue regulator as well. I imagine I could get to a boil without the immersion easy enough, but it would require more time. I was a bit nervy around the 'big' burners especially with my clumsyness and kids and this basic burner and immersion combo has worked well for me. The immersion also preps all my HL and allows me to do my step mashes pretty easy. Gas bottles also go further and I don't have worry about anything with enough grunt to make th cement floor explode :p With immersions around $100 ish it doesn't save you, but it just gives a bit more flexibility. Anywho there's some pros and cons for you to weigh up for yourself.

Hey all,

Any suggestions,

aches

Used a three ring burner and BBQ reg for 12 months under a 50L keg like vessel, worked fine. Switched to a NASA works much faster, but the three ring did the job OK.

Screwy

Sorry Achy, mild OT...

I run a 4 ring, which used to boil my 50L keggle for BIAB really well, in fact would usually get it to the boil and switch off ring 4.. with no drama.

Anyway, I have thrown an adjustable Reg. [You know the MP red one?] on it to boil my 95L in a 120L pot and as I pump up the reg. the flames just run up the sides of my pot... I run an immersion element to help it all along ATM and no real drama's but feel I could be doin it better just from the burner.... with out the flames running up the side

So, question is:

If I am running my 4 ring, pumped up on the reg. should I run the kettle higher from the burner to utilise it better?

Just a quick Q, rather than starting a new thread... sorry OP.

Cheers!

Sorry Achy, mild OT...

I run a 4 ring, which used to boil my 50L keggle for BIAB really well, in fact would usually get it to the boil and switch off ring 4.. with no drama.

Anyway, I have thrown an adjustable Reg. [You know the MP red one?] on it to boil my 95L in a 120L pot and as I pump up the reg. the flames just run up the sides of my pot... I run an immersion element to help it all along ATM and no real drama's but feel I could be doin it better just from the burner.... with out the flames running up the side

So, question is:

If I am running my 4 ring, pumped up on the reg. should I run the kettle higher from the burner to utilise it better?

Cheers!
Yes.... ;) Your pot just sits on the Burner doesnt it?

This one is apparently good, plan on buying one when i get the chance to start brewing at my new place click you will need a high pressure lpg regulator with it, if thats what your bbq uses then it's an ideal option IMO.

Good Luck

Aaron

i have the same burner, got it from beerbelly with a adjustable medium reg. works really well, however it might just be me cranking it too high but i have burnt through 3 reg hoses (quite scary when it happens) 2x orange ones and 1x ss braided one. now i have a nice long copper pipe attached and i have no worries with it :p

Yes.... ;) Your pot just sits on the Burner doesnt it?

Yep, only just up off the burner - your know on a 4 ring they have those spacer things cast into the top of 'em - only slightly higher than that, like 1cm or 2...

It was great for the keggle with BBQ reg. but now with the new reg. if I crank it, it is like the flames have no room to breath [s o to speak].. I hope that makes sense...
Maybe I will take some pics and post a new thread rather than hijacking another... again! ;)

Unless.... :rolleyes:

I use a 3 ring burner with a 60L pot for BIAB with 30L-ish boils. Takes a while to shift the temperature (e.g. 15mins from mash to mashout, 20-25mins from mashout to boil), but it seems to work fine. I guess there may be mashing programmes where this is an issue, but for the basic stuff I'm doing it's just fine. The worst is having to stir the whole time to avoid burning the bag (though someone mentioned partially hoisting the bag, which is not a bad idea, but I'd be concerned about uneven heating).

For basic brewing techniques, it comes down to time. I no-chill, so get back some time there - if I was running a chiller I'd definitely consider a bigger burner. Often enough the only time for brewing is after work on Friday night, which often means not getting to bed before 2am, which unfortunately doesn't stop my small kids from waking 5:30-6am as normal, so every bit of time saved is a bit of extra sleep. I like sleep. :D

T.

I have been using a 3-ring cast iron burner with a normal bbq reg for my boils. Works a treat. I need to lift the pot up off the flame a bit for a more efficient burn but all good. Fairly easy to control with the each of the valves to the rings. Also boil on the wok burner on my bbq, but that wouldn't do to well bringing any more than 15L to the boil in a timely manner

Thanks all, for your replies. It has given me something to think about and it is good to hear that I wasn't too far off the mark in my estimations that the ring burner would do the trick.

Happy brewing

aches

Thanks all, for your replies. It has given me something to think about and it is good to hear that I wasn't too far off the mark in my estimations that the ring burner would do the trick.

Happy brewing

aches

Bloke, this thread gives some good insight particularly what difference the regulator makes to the burners performance.
Cheers
Doug (Who happily has a 4 ring camping burner on a medium pressure adjustable reg for a 90 litre pot)

Sorry Achy, mild OT...

So, question is:

Cheers!

I would enlarge the outlets on the burner to 3.0mm

QldKev

Latest posts

Back