Burner Q's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, but your advice is just f***ing dangerous. A regulator is designed to keep the pressure down in the hosing as a leak at full gas pressure can turn bad very, very quickly.

See, no one has ever pointed that out to me before so I can see how that could turn bad. My first boss told me that regs were a waste of time on these burners probably to get the jobs done quicker. No wonder I quit that job. Might take a ride to bunnings tomorrow and get a adjustable reg.

Agreed DJR

A 100kPa adjustable reg is only $25. I think I will be using one of them.

My thoughts are that 130Mj/h would pump out more heat than something like a smaller mongolian that does 90Mj/h. As stated I don't now much about gas output but more gas = more flame = more heat = quicker boil.

See, no one has ever pointed that out to me before so I can see how that could turn bad. My first boss told me that regs were a waste of time on these burners probably to get the jobs done quicker. No wonder I quit that job. Might take a ride to bunnings tomorrow and get a adjustable reg.

Fair enough then :)

As they say, "She'll be right" is not something you want on your tombstone

Fair enough then :)

As they say, "She'll be right" is not something you want on your tombstone

Yeah, I know he still does it too. Maybe a call to H&S might be in order. Some one was looking out for me in the 10 years I worked there obviously.

So why use a reg? I have used these burners for years on steamers with out regs and had no problems. You just have to remember to keep turning up the flow as your bottle empties.

Here is the thing...

At the full Fuking pressure out of the bottle, you are going to need a fuckin LOT of air to be sucked in to actually making burning the gas at that pressure worthwhile. For a simple thing like a ring burner, that is fuckin impossible, imo.

All you are doing would be inefficient boils that create a lot of Carbon Monoxide.

Now, I could be wrong here and those burners DO suck in enough air, but how do you know!? At least with an adjustable reg, you can turn it down if you see it burning yellow. They cost (with the hose) not much more than the parts you mentioned.
I get that you might have a lot of experience with them, but the dude has never done anything like this and suggesting he do is somewhat dangerous.

Italian spiral burner with adjustable reg set on 5-7 Psi boils 80 lts
Any higher pressure it doesnt burn as well

even with the air intake opened up a bit more? Genuine question.

Yer its as good as i can get it might need to drill gas jet out maybe to get any better burn

Ok,

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking either Italian or Mongolian. I'll be heading to Melb next week so I'll check out G&G. Are there any other Melbourne stores that are good for equipment, advice and price?

Cheers,

+ 1 for spiral burner. You can buy a cheaper Chinese version of the Italian spiral burner, as I have mentioned in the past.
Works well with an adjustable regulator.

Give these guys a try

I got a cheap Italian spiral (or knockoff, not sure. Looks the same.) and stand from these guys! Under $100. Think it was around $70 when they had a sale, can't really remember. I have a 98L pot, and it works fine with a medium pressure regulator.

Ok,

Thanks for the replies. I'm thinking either Italian or Mongolian. I'll be heading to Melb next week so I'll check out G&G. Are there any other Melbourne stores that are good for equipment, advice and price?

Cheers,

For Burner related stuff: James Shields in Spotswood (1 train station from yarraville so you can visit GG and shields all in the same afternoon).

http://www.jamesshields.com.au/

Italian spiral burner with adjustable reg set on 5-7 Psi boils 80 lts
Any higher pressure it doesnt burn as well

This is should say 5-7 Kpa not Psi
G & G medium pressure reg 5-15 kpa

Thanks manticle and beerDingo,

I used to live in Yarraville back in the uni days so I know the area pretty well. I will definitely check out James Shield's and G&G when I head down next week.

I am also interested in the duckbill burners. I'll add that to my list as well.

Also looking to buy 25kg of pale malt and some specialty malts while I'm at it. Got to stock up cause the local HBS (although really helpful and great) doesn't stock AG stuff.

Happy Brewing.

20120704_191913.jpg

Latest posts

Back