Burner Output And Regulators

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a bit confused about how to compare burners, regulators and how to compare the required heat for a certain boil volume. As well as gas used ect.

For eg, the burner I'm looking at does 8.5 kw. The boils Im doing are around 30L.
What type of regulator would I need? Would I be able to save gas by going straight for the adjustable reg and lowering it? or is there a better way to do this?

Any links or useful reading would be great. I have no idea what to search for.
Thanks.

I thought burners were measured in BTU's, not kw. What type of burner are you looking at? A 3 ring burner with an adjustable reg can easily boil that much, even a standard reg should do it.

If you get into one of the serious (read more expensive) burners they should boil it in a heartbeat.

hi,
my understanding with regulators is that you'll be able to do double batches with a medium pressure regulator easy. like the one craftbrewer/grain and grape and others sells. The burner that you use should have enough outlets to cater for that pressure.. if it doesn't, you should get one with bigger/more holes.. or get creative with your existing burner :)

that said, has anyone ever tried one of these adjustable high pressure regulator before?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Propane-Regulat...4#ht_802wt_1164

pretty good price.

hi,
my understanding with regulators is that you'll be able to do double batches with a medium pressure regulator easy. like the one craftbrewer/grain and grape and others sells. The burner that you use should have enough outlets to cater for that pressure.. if it doesn't, you should get one with bigger/more holes.. or get creative with your existing burner :)

that said, has anyone ever tried one of these adjustable high pressure regulator before?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Propane-Regulat...4#ht_802wt_1164

pretty good price.

Looks like a different bottle fitting?

I thought burners were measured in BTU's, not kw. What type of burner are you looking at? A 3 ring burner with an adjustable reg can easily boil that much, even a standard reg should do it.

If you get into one of the serious (read more expensive) burners they should boil it in a heartbeat.

You can measure the output in either, it's like HP or KW in cars

Hi guys,
I'm a bit confused about how to compare burners, regulators and how to compare the required heat for a certain boil volume. As well as gas used ect.

For eg, the burner I'm looking at does 8.5 kw. The boils Im doing are around 30L.
What type of regulator would I need? Would I be able to save gas by going straight for the adjustable reg and lowering it? or is there a better way to do this?

Any links or useful reading would be great. I have no idea what to search for.
Thanks.

8.5kw is about 30,000 btu, or about 30Mj

IMHO not enough power for a 30L. It will do the job, but will take a while to get to the boil.
I like about a factor of 1.5, so for 30L x 1.5 = 45Mj/hr (but I like my burners to be able to get up to heat fast)

Different burners require different pressures to run them. A burner designed for the standard bbq reg (low pressure) will have larger sized jets than one of equal output designed to run on higher pressure. When you look at burners you need to look at the recommended reg for it.

You can add a higher pressure reg to a burner than for what it was designed for, this will develop a lot more heat, but this is dangerous. I have run my 3 ring and also my Mongolian both which were designed for a low pressure reg on my 0-207kpa reg, and both developed more heat this way. If you try this and blow yourself up don't blame me. :ph34r:

Unless you are looking at a 32jet Mongolian etc you won't need to worry about the kg/hr rating of the reg.

I've got some info on my website (link in sig) under homebrew, howto, lpg burners

QldKev

I did have a look on your website kev, its one of the first places I looked before posting. The burner in question is the MAMMUTH, as linked in another thread: http://allthingswine.com.au/product.asp?code=7GASB-M1RING-OM
I read its similar to the Italian spiral burner which people love on here. I'm struggling to find a great deal of information about it however.

I'm looking to maximise efficiency. So more burn for me buck type of thing.

If burn for buck is the driving factor I would have a good look at elec setups. The most efficient LPG burner will cost twice the cost of electricity to run.

It's been a while, but from memory we worked out elec was a bit over $1 a batch (based on 23L), and LPG was just under $3.

Having used 3 ring, Mongolian and NASA (turkey burners or SP10 burner) I have not found a major LPG usage difference is all of them. All within say 50c a batch. If you can handle the noise, I love the NASA burner for serious and adjustable heat output. My last batch was a 75L run, and I only needed to fire up one of the NASAs under the pot for the brew day. (the NASAs I'm using are rated to 150,000btu or about 5 times the one you are looking at)

If you have the power points to run it (30L batch should be easy) elec is cheaper to run, cheap to setup, throws out less heat into the brewery, and quite on brew day.

QldKev

I do single, double and triple keg batches with an Italian Spiral and 0-207kpa reg.

For the single batches I get 4+ batches (with 90 min boils) out of a 9KG gas bottle

For the triple batches... I get 2 or 3 batches out, haven't quite worked it out yet :), the bigger problem is that I end up having to switch bottles mid-flight because I freeze the first one up!

I definitely need to run the burner much harder for a 90L starting boil! than when doing single batches... but I don't have it running flat-out either...

If the mamoth is the similar to the spiral, then I suspect you'd want an adjustable 207kpa reg, like beerbelly sells.

Stux's comment about the reg made me think :eek:

Are they rated 8.5kw using a standard low pressure reg?, hence with the 0-207kpa reg you will have plenty more power.

QldKev

Stux's comment about the reg made me think :eek:

Are they rated 8.5kw using a standard low pressure reg?, hence with the 0-207kpa reg you will have plenty more power.

QldKev

Right ;)

I seem to recall the spiral being rated as 8.8KW on some UK sites

See: http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Larg...iling_Ring.html

although,that might be a 5 jet per row burner... I imagine the 7 jet per row would actually be stronger then

Latest posts

Back