Burner Noise

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darren said:
Funny you should say that! This weekend I went to the servo and tried to exchange (yes I wanted to exchange an empty bottle for a full one, no filling required). The teen behind the counter said "Iam not trained for that" I said can you use a key. he said "Yep" I said all I want to do is give you this bottle and you give me a full one. He said " Sorry mate I am not trained for it". I walked and grabbed a Cherry Ripe off the shelf. and said. How much is this. He said "$2". I said well can I get a bottle out of the cage? He said " Sorry I am not trained for that" I had to leave and come back two hours later when he had left
[post="86930"][/post]​

When you went back did you make sure you got him sacked ?

Doc

Doc said:
Darren said:
Funny you should say that! This weekend I went to the servo and tried to exchange (yes I wanted to exchange an empty bottle for a full one, no filling required). The teen behind the counter said "Iam not trained for that" I said can you use a key. he said "Yep" I said all I want to do is give you this bottle and you give me a full one. He said " Sorry mate I am not trained for it". I walked and grabbed a Cherry Ripe off the shelf. and said. How much is this. He said "$2". I said well can I get a bottle out of the cage? He said " Sorry I am not trained for that" I had to leave and come back two hours later when he had left
[post="86930"][/post]​

When you went back did you make sure you got him sacked ?

Doc
[post="86935"][/post]​

He told me he worked for subway normally and was sorry! Maybe he was only new. He was "knocking off" when I went back and hid behind the lollie isle :rolleyes:

Darren said:
Haven't done it myself, but, a mongolian burner (do a search) will run VERY efficiently on natural gas (no running out of bottled gas. cost about $1.00/brew). If you have natural gas going to your BBQ consider getting natural gas to your brewery. BTW many catering (tomato sauce etc use the mongolian for heating). They only produce "soot" under propane. If I had lined gas here I would convert. Imagine never running out of gas!
cheers
Darren

Bit to but
[post="86919"][/post]​

Sounds like it might be worth checking out. I hate the way my mongolian produces soot, and also hate waiting for the dude at bunnings to fill my bottle on brew day. 2 birds.....beautiful!

plus, i'm always paranoid about running out of gas half way into the boil.

vlbaby.

Mongolianburners will make beer without soot.
Just dont turn it down.
Mine keeps 75 litres at the boil without soot.
Too big for 23 lites batches but about right for 70 litres.

VL
Double-size batches are cheaper in time and cost. Making twice as much, half as often makes sense.

LPG and town gas are different, LPG is Propane, the town gas is Methane (mostly) and any competent plumber/gasfitter can re-jet your burner for you and install a gas point. Propane supplies more heat / litre of gas so the jets are smaller. It isnt legal to ream the jet out with a 1/8 drill and adjust the fuel air mix, works tho.

MHB said:
Propane supplies more heat / litre of gas so the jets are smaller. It isnt legal to ream the jet out with a 1/8 drill and adjust the fuel air mix, works tho.
[post="86980"][/post]​

Don't try this if you are going to use the burner inside a house or shed because gas can escape, without burning, if the hole is even slightly too big. Results in a build-up of un-burnt gas in the atmosphere.

Un-burnt gas, inside the house can be quite explosive. If you have a cellar, the gas can run to and accumulate there. Saw a garage down the road blow up a couple of months ago. Leaking gas!

Darren said:
MHB said:
Propane supplies more heat / litre of gas so the jets are smaller. It isnt legal to ream the jet out with a 1/8 drill and adjust the fuel air mix, works tho.
[post="86980"][/post]​

Don't try this if you are going to use the burner inside a house or shed because gas can escape, without burning, if the hole is even slightly too big. Results in a build-up of un-burnt gas in the atmosphere.

Un-burnt gas, inside the house can be quite explosive. If you have a cellar, the gas can run to and accumulate there. Saw a garage down the road blow up a couple of months ago. Leaking gas!
[post="86984"][/post]​

This sort of thing does give me the chills as well. I really hope people don't use their burners inside.

MHB said:
LPG and town gas are different, LPG is Propane, the town gas is Methane (mostly) and any competent plumber/gasfitter can re-jet your burner for you and install a gas point. Propane supplies more heat / litre of gas so the jets are smaller. It isnt legal to ream the jet out with a 1/8 drill and adjust the fuel air mix, works tho.
[post="86980"][/post]​
MHB,
on a mongolian burner, there isnt just one jet. Each individual flame that emits from the burner is it own jet and air mixing port, so i think the old 1/8" drill might be the only way here. Although i think i'd try it first just as is to see how it went first.

vlbaby.

Darren said:
VL
Double-size batches are cheaper in time and cost. Making twice as much, half as often makes sense.
[post="86979"][/post]​

Not if you like variety - I can make double batches, but to date only made 1, as I much prefer to have a range of beers on tap - if I want to save time, I just do a double brew day...

I operate my NASA in the garage. That said I always leave the garage doors completely open while doing so.

If my garage caught fire it would be doing me a favour. :D

Warren -

Ok, so as I understand it,

3 ring burners are ok for average 23L batches, but if looking toward the future for say double batches it would probably struggle.

Nasa burners are generally only loud initially while bringing wort to the boil and then adjusted down are much quieter.

The Mongolian burners have the same out put as the nasa, but are quieter, however under LPG they tend to soot up if flame is too low.
Though, if mains connected this may not be a problem with appropriate regulater.

There maybe some gas legal insurance issues running a burner off a mains connected line.

Does anyone run a Nasa that is mains connected?

Latest posts

Back