Bulk Sodium Percarbonate In Wa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger mellie

Defender of the WW - Scars to prove it.
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to source bulk 100% Sodium Percarbonate - like 25KG bags - in WA?

Hucon in Victoria have it for about $5 per KG but with freight it doesnt seem as appealing.

RM

- bump -

No I haven't heard of any. But I'd sure like to find out too

I tried a few places for this once but drew wierd stares and blank looks but if there's a few interested it might be worth trying again.

I tried a few places for this once but drew wierd stares and blank looks but if there's a few interested it might be worth trying again.

I'm pretty sure Hucon in Melbourne will sell me a sack for about 4.95 or so a KG - I dont know how difficult it is to courier Bulk Chemicals - they werent very helpful when I asked either.

The main reason I want it isnt the cost - despite the label stating 'odour free' on the products I have tried I'm getting this faint lemon smell in some of my beers and I reckon I have tainted one of my fermenters.

Considering it is 100% and 33% Napisan is about $6 per KG - there is merit in doing this but only if it doesnt double the cost shipping it over and there were enough takers. Register your interest now and I will take it further.

Would be much handier to have a local supplier - bit like you AusDB - draws blank stares when you ask.

RM

I'm interested too.
Keeps the beer free of grubs and the shirts whiter than white. Yay!

Just something to note

I was talking with a local manufacture of cleaning products and he was saying that 100% sodium percarbonate is not ideal for cleaning/sanitizing as it has no surfactant ( detergent ) action. This is why it is mixed with sodium carbonate in nappy san to give it cleaning power

Sodium percarbonate breaks down into Sodium carbonate and Hydrogen peroxide

Sodium crabonate is more commonly known as " washing soda "or "pool ash".

When I use Hydrogen peroxide as a spray santizer I add a small amount ( tiny ) of washing soda so that it will stick to the equipment I am sterilizing.

You may resume your normal un-hijacked thread... :ph34r:

Count me in. The very clean person I have lived with for forty years will be in sterile heaven.

Just something to note

I was talking with a local manufacture of cleaning products and he was saying that 100% sodium percarbonate is not ideal for cleaning/sanitizing as it has no surfactant ( detergent ) action. This is why it is mixed with sodium carbonate in nappy san to give it cleaning power

Sodium percarbonate breaks down into Sodium carbonate and Hydrogen peroxide

Sodium crabonate is more commonly known as " washing soda "or "pool ash".

When I use Hydrogen peroxide as a spray santizer I add a small amount ( tiny ) of washing soda so that it will stick to the equipment I am sterilizing.

You may resume your normal un-hijacked thread... :ph34r:

Thanks Stu - That was useful - no hijack there IMHO.

But - Im now confused

You say that Sodium Percarbonate (PCS) at 100%w/w isnt as good as Nappysan - because it doesnt have sodium carbonate in it yet it breaks down in solution to give Sodium Carbonate??

http://www.wlchem.com/template/e-zc1.htm provides some more info - looks like 100% PCS is great as a wood deck stain remover or a carpet cleaner - great!. Good recipes for how to make your own laundry powders here too.

As I previously mentioned - I'm just trying to get TOTALLY odour free cleaning of my equipment - I use Iodoform as my no-rinse sanitiser I think the bleaching characteristics of the PCS are what I want for my plastics.

Does anyone out there use 100% PCS? How does it go as a cleaner?

RM

Roger

It does seem a bit confusing, but i think it has to do with how long it takes to break down into Sodium carbonate and Hydrogen peroxide.

I think it takes about a week for the Sodium percarbonate to break down into sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide

The Hydrogen peroxide then breaks down in a matter of hours, leaving sodium carbonate, water and oxygen

Linky thing here -----> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

Update - is do-able.

I need to order 50KG's to make the transport work - minimum charge of $100 from MLB to Perth stings a bit - if I order only 25 kgs the freight is the same.

So the cost would work out to be $8.50 per KG plus $1.50 for a Proper Jar from Silverlock.

So say $20 for a 2KG container of 100% W/W Sodium Percarbonate - with NO smelly stuff added.

Not quite as cheap as I had hoped - but if there is sufficient interest register it now. - again. I reckon that if 15 people were interested I would do it.

Will hopefully be able to get GL's warehouse for sole distribution rights.

RM

I'll be up for a couple of 2kg tubs = 4 kg's for me

Cheers
Asher

I will be in it. The supermarket stuff is only 34% and costs five bucks a kg and smells real nice so there are advantages in going bulk. All we have to do is track down sodium carbonate and concoct our own brew. What is that stuff used for?

I will be in it. The supermarket stuff is only 34% and costs five bucks a kg and smells real nice so there are advantages in going bulk. All we have to do is track down sodium carbonate and concoct our own brew. What is that stuff used for?

From Google

"A better source is a swimming pool supplies store, or a hardware store that carries some pool supplies, which will carry pure sodium carbonate (a popular brand is pH Up), sold for the purpose of increasing the pH of pool water."

Wouldnt think it would be that expensive.

RM

I priced pure Sodium Perc from Jasol Chemicals in O'Connor IIRC at around $7.50 per KG min 25 KG purchase that was a cash counter sale. They are located at 131 Garling St phone 93374844. I have been patiently waiting for a cleaner mate who has a wholesale account with them to get me his price on the stuff (perhaps too patiently). I hereby register my interest also for a couple of KG's :) . I bought my Hydrogen Peroxide/ Silver Ion sanitiser from them and they were very helpful. No affiliation etc.
Cheers
Doug

Back