Bulk Sodium Percarbonate In Wa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I priced pure Sodium Perc from Jasol Chemicals in O'Connor IIRC at around $7.50 per KG min 25 KG purchase that was a cash counter sale. They are located at 131 Garling St phone 93374844. I have been patiently waiting for a cleaner mate who has a wholesale account with them to get me his price on the stuff (perhaps too patiently). I hereby register my interest also for a couple of KG's :) . I bought my Hydrogen Peroxide/ Silver Ion sanitiser from them and they were very helpful. No affiliation etc.
Cheers
Doug

Cheeers for that Doug - I looked everywhere in Perth without success - obvoiusly not hard enough.

Hucon in Melbourne is about $5 per kg but when you add freight it = $7.5 /kg.

I will call them tommorrow and see if I can blag a cheaper deal - in which case I might have the goods in time for the next brew day.

RM

Aldi Stores have Nappi-San for $2.30 1Kg...better than 1/2 the cost of all the other supermarkets...

Righto

A slight change in tack.

Ducatiboy highlighted in one of the replies to the original post that a mix of Soda Ash and PCS will work better for the purpose of cleaning brewing stuff. Basically a 50/50 mix will work better (make more OOH- ions beacause it increases the alkalinity) - the link http://www.wlchem.com/template/e-zc1.htm explains the chemistry.

SO

What I now suggest is that for $15 for a 2KG jar I will do a 50/50 mix of PCS and Sodium Carbonate. The price drops but I now have 50KG of the stuff.

I still reckon this will be better than any stuff you can buy from the shops - no smelly stuff or enzymes or surfactants.

Will sell it in 2KG jars only.

So far

Me - 2 * 2KG Jars
Goat - 1
Organo - 1
Chilla - 1
Vlad - 1
Asher - 2
Dougie - 1
Tony - 1

Thats 10 - need a few more before its a goer.

RM

I'll take 2 RM...

Ant

RM - 2 * 2KG Jars
Goat - 1
Organo - 1
Chilla - 1
Vlad - 1
Asher - 2
Dougie - 1
Tony - 1
Ant - 2

TOTAL - 12

I'll up mine to 2 - thank you Mr Mellie

RM - 2 * 2KG Jars
Goat - 2
Organo - 1
Chilla - 1
Vlad - 1
Asher - 2
Dougie - 1
Tony - 1
Ant - 2

TOTAL - 13

I will be in it. The supermarket stuff is only 34% and costs five bucks a kg and smells real nice so there are advantages in going bulk. All we have to do is track down sodium carbonate and concoct our own brew. What is that stuff used for?

From Google

"A better source is a swimming pool supplies store, or a hardware store that carries some pool supplies, which will carry pure sodium carbonate (a popular brand is pH Up), sold for the purpose of increasing the pH of pool water."

Wouldnt think it would be that expensive.

RM

Sodium Carbonate is not Sodium Percarbonate is it?

Batz

Different but similar: Sodium Percarbonate C2H8Na4O12 Molecular Weight 316.04 is used to make laundry powders, cleaning products and bleach. It's used as a bleach, stain remover, and is environmentally friendly, breaks down into water, oxygen, and soda ash.

Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3 Molecular Weight 105.99 used as an Oxygenator or Oxyclean in the laundry, it's a disinfectant. Also good for cleaning jewelery too.

Different but similar: Sodium Percarbonate C2H8Na4O12 Molecular Weight 316.04 is used to make laundry powders, cleaning products and bleach. It's used as a bleach, stain remover, and is environmentally friendly, breaks down into water, oxygen, and soda ash.

Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3 Molecular Weight 105.99 used as an Oxygenator or Oxyclean in the laundry, it's a disinfectant. Also good for cleaning jewelery too.

Thanks Screwtop

Found this also

Sodium percarbonate (or sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate) is an addition compound of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide. It is a white crystalline water-soluble chemical compound. When dissolved into water, its releases H2O2 and soda ash (sodium carbonate):

2 Na2CO33H2O2 → 2 Na2CO3 + 3 H2O2
The pH of the resulting solution is typically alkaline, which activates the H2O2 for bleaching. The dry powder contains about 30% w/w H2O2.

Sodium percarbonate is an ingredient in a number of home and laundry cleaning products. It is the primary ingredient in OxiClean products and a component of Cillit Bang crystals. It offers many of the same functional benefits as liquid hydrogen peroxide. It dissolves into water rapidly to release oxygen and provides powerful cleaning, bleaching, stain removal and deodorizing capabilities. Besides, sodium carbonate decomposed from sodium percarbonate is able to increase the pH value in washing water to knock down the activities of calcium ion and magnesium ion, thus softening the water. Another benefit offered by sodium carbonate by raising the pH value is to reduce the negative charges of dirt and fibre resulting in the strengthening repellency between dirt and fibre, which leads to the improvement of bleaching and stain removing effects.

Compared with chlorine bleaching chemicals that leave contaminating residues in the environment, sodium percarbonate is an environmentally friendly chemical which decomposes into oxygen, water and natural soda ash when subjected to moisture.[1]

Sodium percarbonate is increasingly being the substitute for sodium perborate in detergent formulations due to its lower dissolving temperature in water.

Detergent or bleach compositions formulated with sodium percarbonate have a strong stain removal capability. It is very effective as a laundry presoak for heavily stained articles. It is color safe. It brightens colors and prevents fabric from becoming yellowed or darkened. Sodium percarbonate is effective as a disinfectant on both bacteria and viruses.

For its environmental advantages, sodium percarbonate is a good oxygen release chemical for agricultural and aquicultural applications

Batz

RM, id be in for 3kg if you need more takers.

Cheers

RM, id be in for 3kg if you need more takers.

Cheers

Big Al - no probs - its going to be packaged in 2kg Jar type things - so thats 2 Kg or 4kg? Assuming 4 (feel free to amend)

RM - 2 * 2KG Jars
Goat - 2
Organo - 1
Chilla - 1
Vlad - 1
Asher - 2
Dougie - 1
Tony - 1
Ant - 2
Big Al - 2

TOTAL - 15

15/25 - close to a deal.

RM

Firewall here seems to be preventing showing the first part of this thread, but whatever it is that this bulk by frenzy is about, I'll take two of them.

Not wanting to be a pain but I would rather just purchase the straight stuff any chance?

Not wanting to be a pain but I would rather just purchase the straight stuff any chance?

No Probs AusDB - is 2 KG's OK - I wont mix yours and you can have 2 kgs of Soda ash aswell. Keeps it simple that way and I dont have any Soda Ash leftover :rolleyes:

Does anyone else want the straight stuff?

Looks like its a goer - leave this with me - I will try and get the goods before AusDB's brew day and make a special appearance as 'Bulk Buy Guy' - no promises - getting busy on the current project I am working on - Pumping 220 Tons of CO2 per day at 20 Bar - quite a lot of kegs could be carbonated with that lot i tell ya.

BTW AusDB - can you PM me with your details - like where the Brewday will be?

GL - If I cant make to AUSDB's brewday can I use your warehouse facilities again for pickups - I will probably do a direct deposit if thats OK with everyone.

Cheers

RM

Back